Primary too dang hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
Second batch I'm starting a Oktoberfest. Usually I don't have too much trouble with temp control in my primary or secondary due to good A/C set at 68-70 degrees. I made the brew yesterday and put it in a primary and today after work I checked it and it was a staggering 79 degrees! Well, I covered it with a wet towel and am blowing a fan on it now to cool it down. I need to get a tub of some kind to set up water cooling device.
So here come the questions...
1. I'm probably gonna get some wierd off flavors aren't I?

2. With the air being 70 degrees, does the yeast heat it up that much? It was rehydrated Windsor yeast. Or is there some extracurricular activity going on in my beer? i.e infection that causing extra heat.

Fermenting beer can generate as much as a 10 degree increase from ambient temperature. Get a rubbermaid bus tub and put your fermenter in it with a t-shirt over it. put an 1/2 inch of water in the tub and make sure the tshirt is wet. It will wick the water up and evaporate it and cool it while doing so.

or get a tub and fill it with water and swap out bottles of frozen icewater every now and again to get it to cool properly... especially since you are doing a Marzen and they usually need to be done at cool temperatures for a long time...

Latest posts

Back