120V 2000W heatstick V1.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malric

Reaction score
Problem: My electric stove takes 70+ minutes to boil 4 gallons of water

Solution: Heatstick

The video is the first test of my 120V 2000W heatstick V1.0. I constructed this from a 2000W heating element, chromed steal drain pipe and some PVC. I was able to raise 4 gallons of water from 55 to boiling in roughly 40 minutes. This should significantly reduce my brewing time when used with the stove.

Phase 2 will include a automated temp control unit to use with the heatstick.
Phase 3: 240V 4500W!

Credit goes to http://www.3d0g.net/brewing/heatstick. I was not able to get the jb weld to pour, so I opted for Fireblock Great Stuff. I haven't used it enough to verify the longevity, but it held for the initial test.

Disclaimer: GFCI outlet, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Fireblock, as in foam insulation? If so I'd not count on long term safety. That is not waterproof stuff. If it is another product - nevermind. Be safe!

I should go see if I have 20 amp service to my kitchen... I doubt it being an older house. 2000 Watts / 120 VAC = 16.7 Amps, you do have 20 Amp service, correct? I'm just throwing that out there for people who might come across this and think that it is a good idea to try with old school standard 15A service.

Looks like a nice trick though.

Yes, I have 20A for my kitchen. If you're running 15A, you should use a 1440 or 1650W heating element. Sorry, should have included that.

I bought a 2000W heating element and plan on building one of these very soon.

NEC dictates an 80% application. 80% of a 20A breaker is 16A. 2000W/120V is 16.667A which is about 83%. A professional electrician would tell you to install at least a 25A breaker for this application. I also have a 20A breaker installed, so I'm hoping a 20A service will be fine for me, as well. My house was built in '75, so I'm assuming that the wiring is in good shape. Any problems with following an 83% rule in this scenario?

I don't see a problem with it. Most portable electric heaters are rated for 1500 Watts which is also 83% of 15 Amps.

I bought a 2000W heating element and plan on building one of these very soon.

NEC dictates an 80% application. 80% of a 20A breaker is 16A. 2000W/120V is 16.667A which is about 83%. A professional electrician would tell you to install at least a 25A breaker for this application. I also have a 20A breaker installed, so I'm hoping a 20A service will be fine for me, as well. My house was built in '75, so I'm assuming that the wiring is in good shape. Any problems with following an 83% rule in this scenario?

In time you could start to weaken your circuit breaker. All other wiring in the circuit being sound, it may get weak.

Back