Yeast Washing - signs of contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhumm1

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I took my first shot at yeast washing and was pretty careful to follow all the standard protocals I found throughout these threads; boiled my water and mason jars, cooled the water overnight, washed twice, kept the jars covered while they settled, and ended up with what looked like pretty clean yeast. The layering looked exactly like what I saw in others pics so everything was good and I was happy.

So I went for my normal after work beer tonight and pulled out my two mason jars to check in on my yeast and I noticed a new kind of 'fluffy' layer on top of my yeast. It definitely looks very 'light' and it is easily re-suspended if I move the jars at all.

I'm wondering if this is normal - maybe light weight yeast that finally settled out - or I fear something worse - signs of contamination or some kind of mold or something growing on top of the yeast layer.

Is this normal, or do I need to toss this? Any advice for next time if somehow I got some contamination?

sorry, pics are huge...wtf?

dscn6608f.jpg

dscn6603.jpg

Back