Brown Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
I'm tossing ideas around my head for my next few batches. This fall I'm going to do a Oatmeal Stout or Porter and thought a little bit of brown sugar might be nice. I don't want it to dominate at all or the beer to come out too sweet.....but I don't think it would make the beer too sweet, if anything it would make it drier since sugar is 100% fermentable. Anyone use brown sugar in recipes and if so how did you like it?

I use the extra dark brown sugar in my English Brown ales. Works well - ferments well and does not add significant flavors. Use it as an adjunct. I believe that brown sugar was initially used as an economical solution to the high taxes early british brewers were having to pay for malt.

Obviously, you can make a better beer with all malt, but I have found that adding some brown sugar increases the alcohol content while keeping my English Milds and Browns refreshing, mild, and not too malty.

I've used brown sugar, mainly in barleywines and stouts. Never more than a pound in 5 gallons.

Back