Gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Hello. In the book extreme beers, most of the recipes call for the adition of gypsum. Is it really necesary, and does it help with the overall taste of the beer?

Don't use it unless your water requires it. If you use RO water you will need to make a few additions to your water but don't put gypsum in unless you are confirmed your water requires it. Gypsum is Calcium Sulfate.

If you are using extract and not mashing, you can use straight RO water without a problem, the extract has the proper minerals from it's preparation.

I use gypsum in my English bitters and IPAs. My water doesn't require it, but 1/2 a teaspoon in 5 gallons helps perk up the hops and gives it a more characteristic "British" flavor. I wouldn't use it on other styles, though.

A brewer in my area said the same as above, that our water was great as is, but some gypsum in IPAs will make the hops stand out.

A brewer in my area said the same as above, that our water was great as is, but some gypsum in IPAs will make the hops stand out.

Sulfates accentuate hops, Chlorides accentuate malts. The ratio between them should be managed carefully it you are going to start adding minerals to your water. Palmer is about to publish a book on water to help clarify some of the new paradigms...he has a spreadsheet to help manage residual alkalinity and sulfate:chloride ratios

Latest posts

Back