Storing Unwashed Slurry/Trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JorgeDHF

Reaction score
Afternoon all. Noob here with a question:

At the moment, have a 5 gal. ESB (OG 1.054) batch in my primary (bucket) since 10/29; planning on racking to secondary (glass carboy) on Sunday morning. Wanted to take advantage of some extra grain I have around AND the yeast cake from the primary, so was thinking of brewing another batch and re-pitching. Unfortunately, time is not on my side and won't be able to brew.

Can I rack, leave a bit of liquid on top of the cake and just put the whole bucket in a working & empty fridge for a week or two?

Afternoon all. Noob here with a question:

At the moment, have a 5 gal. ESB (OG 1.054) batch in my primary (bucket) since 10/29; planning on racking to secondary (glass carboy) on Sunday morning. Wanted to take advantage of some extra grain I have around AND the yeast cake from the primary, so was thinking of brewing another batch and re-pitching. Unfortunately, time is not on my side and won't be able to brew.

Can I rack, leave a bit of liquid on top of the cake and just put the whole bucket in a working & empty fridge for a week or two?

I have read of people doing exactly that. I actually took some of the trub and dumped it into a ziploc baggie and tossed it in the fridge for a week.... seems to have worked fine. I will probably do that rather than pitching on an entire yeast cake from now on.

I do it all the time, for years now. I rack the slurry from the fermenter into two jars, and let them sit in the fridge for up to two months. I use 1 jar per one 5-gal new batch. No yeast washing, no problems at all.
This way one pack of yeast lasts me for up to 10-15 batches. RDWHAHB.

Back