Planning on Making Radioactive Sake or Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a follow-up:
I dosed my yeast during fermentation to get mutant yeast. I let it sit for a long time after removing the Fukushima metals and saved some of the yeast. The beer turned out okay, but I cannot for the life of me to get anyone to try it. Anyhow I’m enjoying it on my own. I’m pretty sure I’ll be cancer free.

So you want to cause radiation-induced damage to the yeast to cause mutations.

Sounds interesting - a new sort of process for lambics?

You'd just want to irradiate the yeast and for that you don't need Fukushima rice. If you take apart a smoke detector you'll find a bit of Americium which is radioactive. Put this in/near a little bit of yeast and then culture it into a starter.

UV radiation will probably be more mutating (higher energy) than alpha/beta radiation. But I think that's why it kills/sterilizes microorganisms. A controlled exposure with a blacklight could work.

If you use this to produce funky yeast you could make a lambic or maybe a sour? Then you don't have to risk wild yeasts and other microorganisms getting in. This would be randomized yeast as opposed to wild yeast. :p

/ricewine

Just a follow-up:
I dosed my yeast during fermentation to get mutant yeast. I let it sit for a long time after removing the Fukushima metals and saved some of the yeast. The beer turned out okay, but I cannot for the life of me to get anyone to try it. Anyhow I’m enjoying it on my own. I’m pretty sure I’ll be cancer free.

Troll revival anyone?

The amount of use X crazy radioactive thing to mutate yeast is down right silly. Why not put your starter in the microwave for 2-5 seconds? What doesn't die is going to mutate due to... Microwave radiation. ;)

The amount of use X crazy radioactive thing to mutate yeast is down right silly. Why not put your starter in the microwave for 2-5 seconds? What doesn't die is going to mutate due to... Microwave radiation. ;)

Nope. Microwave ovens don't really put out the sort of radiation you're thinking of; they put out... wait for it... are you ready... microwaves!!

Back when microwave ovens were brand new, I had an Amana I bought from a couple in the middle of splitting up their property during a divorce (only way I could have afforded one). I reheated a pot of coffee in it one morning and offered some to my neighbor, and she proclaimed, "none for me, thankyouverymuch. Unlike you, I don't plan to die from radiation poisoning.":p

Back