types of hallertauer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am scanning over the various recipes for Wheat beers on this website and I see a lot of people use "Hallertauer", so this is what I will use for my wheat that I am designing...

After I went to go buy the hops on the net I realize there is 3 or 4 different types of Hallertauer hops, I see Hallertauer Hellsbrucker , Hallertauer Mittlefruh, and Hallertauer Tradition. Is the "Hallertauer" referenced in Beirmunchers Bee Cave Wheat beer (or any other one of the many wheats using hallertauer) referencing one of these three types of hops, or does there exist just plain old "Hallertauer"

It's a regional thing. Just like Golding hops. If you grow the same hop in a different region, it will have a slightly different character. Just different regions of Germany. The Golding hops are grown all over the place. There are US Goldings, UK Goldings, and then more specifically, ones grown in the East part of Kent, where we get the traditional East Kent Goldings.

Short answer, if the recipe says Hallertauer, whether you use Hallertauer Hallertau, Mittlefruh, Tradition or whatever, you're going to be fine.

Just to add... if you ever wanted to brew specifically with German hops, I've seen the generic "Hallertauer" used as a reference for US Hallertauer.

Back