Pin Lock or Ball Lock? what do you prefer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppinburgh

Reaction score
Started gathering info on beginning to keg my beer. In speaking with my LHBS he recommended pin lock over ball lock. His reasoning was over time ball lock kegs will be harder to find used, and he doesn't see a need to spend an extra $100 on a new keg when a used keg is pretty much indestructible if cared for properly. What would you recommend?

I like the ball-locks BECAUSE: 1 there are narrower
2 the Q.D.'s sit even with the handle
3 less metal to rust on the Q.D.
4 the cost is not a problem by me I can buy them for $25-$30
5 I already have more then I need
6 easier to vent

I like the ball-locks BECAUSE: 1 there are narrower
2 the Q.D.'s sit even with the handle
3 less metal to rust on the Q.D.
4 the cost is not a problem by me I can buy them for $25-$30
5 I already have more then I need
6 easier to vent

#6 is not necessary true. The Pin-locks I got from Midwest Supply this Christmas came with pull ring pressure releases, same as the ball-locks.

I traded them with another person in our club for ball-locks since I already had two ball-locks and some carb caps for 2-liters.

I am getting into kegging piece by piece. I wanted pin lock just because of the price and all the other things people say about them. I found ball locks on craigslist and drove an hour to get them at 30 each, which is an awesome deal...IMO. Moral of the story...use whatever you can get your hands on.

No difference except shape of keg posts and keg size(slight but can matter in your choice of kegerator).

Pin locks or ball locks either work the same. I use Ball locks because they are taller and slightly thinner, and floor space is a concern for me. Some people I know use pinlocks because overall height is a concern. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use either.......though Pinlocks ARE easier on the wallet:)

You can also buy the conversion posts for pinlocks too
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/pin-lock-to-ball-lock-conversion-post-kit.html

Back