Ball Lock vs. Pin Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home on the Brew

Reaction score
I just got a couple of used pin lock corny kegs and am in the process of cleaning them up for me to use. The question is can you replace the pin lock heads with ball lock heads on a corny Keg? I ask because I want to force carbonate and have been looking for pin lock connectors to attach to a mini regulator but have only been able to find ball lock setups.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

-David

Yes. You can find adapter fittings that will change it from pin lock to ball lock. You can also find plenty of pinlock connections all over the internet. What you have to wonder is if the tiny little convenience of being able to pull back the collar rather than turn the collar is worth it. Pinlock kegs are also shorter and wider so they can fit better in some refrigerators where as the ball lock kegs are taller and thinner. Space in the fridge should always be considered.

Last edited:
As a follow on the initial question... what's the secret to converting them? I ordered a couple PL to BL conversion kits, but when I tried to install them they leaked like it was cool. It seems like the BL post is longer than what is available on the keg... almost like there are too many threads. I tried adding another o-ring to make the dip tube stand higher but that didn't work either.

As a follow on the initial question... what's the secret to converting them? I ordered a couple PL to BL conversion kits, but when I tried to install them they leaked like it was cool. It seems like the BL post is longer than what is available on the keg... almost like there are too many threads. I tried adding another o-ring to make the dip tube stand higher but that didn't work either.
There are about five different combinations of thread diameter and pitch. This list describes the most common sizes used by the various brands of kegs.

Back