I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leadgolem said:
I just popped a double dose of melatonin. I need to head off to sleep before I start rambling about things that I'd wish I hadn't in the morning.
Double dose, so for you like 100mg? ;) I just took some too, only 2mg but there's a bunch of other stuff in it as well, Passion flower, fish oil, hops, valerian, ashwaganda.
troy2000 said:
Here's that grilled focaccia I mentioned earlier. On top of my usual infused olive oil, I added onions and fresh rosemary. http://s32.photobucket.com/user/troybytheriver/media/Focaccia009_zps3b38a383.jpg.html
looks awesome, even after the third post ;) I don't know why, but I've never made focaccia. Which is strange, because it's easy to make from what I've heard and hard to find good stuff. There's a place in Marin that makes it with olives, garlic cloves, and slices of lemon on top. It's really good.

Man, I should bake some bread.

So, I pulled my perfectly pouring baby ipa out of my keezer to chill an irish red. The baby ipa was taken off the gas. Over an hour it probably warmed a couple degrees, but then it poured pure foam. Was it likely the shaking in pulling it out, or the temp change?

Man, I should bake some bread.

So, I pulled my perfectly pouring baby ipa out of my keezer to chill an irish red. The baby ipa was taken off the gas. Over an hour it probably warmed a couple degrees, but then it poured pure foam. Was it likely the shaking in pulling it out, or the temp change?

I'd vote on temp..

I'm drinking this years hard apple cider. Yeah I jumped the gun on pasteurizing, so it isn't very well carbed. It's not still either. It's more like "sparkly" I guess. I actually don't mind it this way, with that said. I'm still perfecting the process of pasteurizing, so I'll dial it in eventually.

IMG-20131020-00333.jpg

I'd vote on temp..

I'm drinking this years hard apple cider. Yeah I jumped the gun on pasteurizing, so it isn't very well carbed. It's not still either. It's more like "sparkly" I guess. I actually don't mind it this way, with that said. I'm still perfecting the process of pasteurizing, so I'll dial it in eventually.

I like the spooky keezer :mug:

No particular reason to post this.. found it on YouTube while looking for something I didn't find.

Here's a Dean Martin roast. I'm amazed I recognize so many of the faces.. Dean Martin, of course, Don Richols, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Howard Cossell, Rich Little, Joe Namoth, come to mind.

ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Double dose, so for you like 100mg? ;) I just took some too, only 2mg but there's a bunch of other stuff in it as well, Passion flower, fish oil, hops, valerian, ashwaganda.
looks awesome, even after the third post ;) I don't know why, but I've never made focaccia. Which is strange, because it's easy to make from what I've heard and hard to find good stuff. There's a place in Marin that makes it with olives, garlic cloves, and slices of lemon on top. It's really good.

Deleted two of them. My internet connection was screwing up, and wasn't showing they had posted. The little icon just kept on spinning, and spinning, and spinning....

My focaccia comes out of the oven crispy. After it cools off and sets for a while, it becomes chewy. If a piece happens to survive overnight in cling wrap or a plastic bag, it gets surprisingly soft.

Hot or cold, I smear butter on it. If I'd stop doing that, it would be a downright healthy bread....:D

Oh, I also baked the focaccia. :) Topping was butter, garlic, and parmesan. I have to say, that doesn't taste anything like any of the other bread recipes I've got. Not even close. I enjoyed it greatly! It was a little to much dough for the pan I used. It's a non-stick cookie sheet. It's a little smaller then a true half sheet. I'll probably cut the recipe in half the next time I make it. It's a lot of bread for the pan, or two people for that matter.

Even with an oiled non-stick baking sheet it stuck a little bit. Not bad though.

My Mother is funny. She kept comparing it to sourdough. Yeah, it's not even close to sourdough. I guess she was talking about the texture. It's a little chewy. Nicely so, I think.

EDIT: It ended up about 1 1/2 inches high. I did dimple the whole pan before baking.
Recipe, brah. Stat!

I'd vote on temp..

"Sparkling" implies a very high level of carbonation. I believe the word you'd typically use in this case would be petillant. ;)

"Sparkling" implies a very high level of carbonation. I believe the word you'd typically use in this case would be petillant. ;)

Thanks for the correction. Now that I think about it... in my semi-drunken state I think the word I was searching for was "tingly". haha..:drunk:

The most disgusting beer idea TNGabe has ever heard, is in the mini keg. Tasting next weekend.

I think I said it needed smoked malt, a sour mash, and 3711 to be the most disgusting beer idea I'd ever heard.

Deleted two of them. My internet connection was screwing up, and wasn't showing they had posted. The little icon just kept on spinning, and spinning, and spinning....

My focaccia comes out of the oven crispy. After it cools off and sets for a while, it becomes chewy. If a piece happens to survive overnight in cling wrap or a plastic bag, it gets surprisingly soft.

Hot or cold, I smear butter on it. If I'd stop doing that, it would be a downright healthy bread....:D

The only thing worse for bread than putting it in plastic, is putting it in the fridge.

I think I said it needed smoked malt, a sour mash, and 3711 to be the most disgusting beer idea I'd ever heard.

The only thing worse for bread than putting it in plastic, is putting it in the fridge.

I am not sure why plastic is bad for bread but I am done with plastic bags and wrap and cups and etc... I got a batch of bags (probably from china) that smelled like diesel fuel. I wasnt about to put any food in them. It may be a stupid thing to do since everything we buy comes in some sort of plastic container, even the "organic" stuff. What kind of hipocrites are those guys?

I am remodeling the kitchen and upgrading the brewery currently. I am changing my drinking water line back to copper and getting rid of the pex in the brewery pluming too. I don't know about you guys but I don't trust the FDA.

We will soon be fermenting in stainless too. Now I just gotta figure out how to get the water to the brewshop without a plastic RV hose. And trust that silicone is "safe"...

Time to break out the everclear.
Lol, no. I do try not to drink that. Well, sometimes. I don't mind it in a mix drink.
Here's that grilled focaccia I mentioned earlier. On top of my usual infused olive oil, I added onions and fresh rosemary.

That looks tasty. :)
A double dose for me is 6mg. I did end up taking 12 last night though. I was having more then the typical problems sleeping.

I'd vote on temp..

Isn't that cider a little young? It's what, 2 months old?

It makes it soggy which leads to mold fairly quickly. Well, real bread that doesn't have chemicals and such.

That make sense. The only bread we eat, we make. Just a bread machine and nothing fancy but we try to avoid the chemicals. It certainly doesn't store very long which I would expect.

I bought a loaf of white bread for the kids to make sandwiches with. It was forgotten about in a drawer (at my grandmas old house we are fixing up) for about a month (unopened). It still looked and smelled new! That is unnatural and scary...zombie bread;)

Not to change the subject but Wifey got me a set of (4) 6oz beer glasses for our 10 year anniversary:
thumb2_img_20131021_185059_627-61237.jpg

They came with some kind of plank you are supposed to put them on but I think I will spank her with it instead. I love these little glasses. I actually stole three from the bar a few weekends ago but my "buddy" won't give them up.

Isn't that cider a little young? It's what, 2 months old?

A little more than 2 months, but I wouldn't call it at all young. It's only 6.5% ABV and was fermented with beer yeast. It doesn't need any age. It's very delicious already, and you can't even taste alcohol at that low ABV.

Great wife Ischiavo! I remember drinking from some like that at a brewery in Las Vegas. There were four or six of them and came in a little rack to sample the house brews.

That make sense. The only bread we eat, we make. Just a bread machine and nothing fancy but we try to avoid the chemicals. It certainly doesn't store very long which I would expect.

I bought a loaf of white bread for the kids to make sandwiches with. It was forgotten about in a drawer (at my grandmas old house we are fixing up) for about a month (unopened). It still looked and smelled new! That is unnatural and scary...zombie bread;)

Not to change the subject but Wifey got me a set of (4) 6oz beer glasses for our 10 year anniversary:
They came with some kind of plank you are supposed to put them on but I think I will spank her with it instead. I love these little glasses. I actually stole three from the bar a few weekends ago but my "buddy" won't give them up.
Nice, especially the intended use of the plank. :D

If you want to talk about some zombie bread, get a loaf of Oroweat Oatnut. I had a loaf of that last 3 months on the counter after it was opened. No mold, and it wasn't stale either. I've never actually thrown a loaf of that out.

A little more than 2 months, but I wouldn't call it at all young. It's only 6.5% ABV and was fermented with beer yeast. It doesn't need any age. It's very delicious already, and you can't even taste alcohol at that low ABV.
Oh, I was thinking of something with a wee bit more kick. I'll be kegging some really young cider once the batch finishes. OG was 1.082, so it could finish as high as 12% depending on how much it attenuates. I thought I should make something a little tamer to be on tap. :ban:

Just as I started moaning about my marriage my wife surprises me with a ticket to Hawaii. It was a really good deal. I'll be heading out soon. We need the time together and she has a gigantic honey-do list, plus it's her birthday. Should be a lot of fun, a lot of work but fun too. :D

Great wife Ischiavo! I remember drinking from some like that at a brewery in Las Vegas. There were four or six of them and came in a little rack to sample the house brews.

I think that is the intended purpose of these. The plank is a perfect paddle for spanking though. I already showed two of my boys how grandma used to use it on me. Actually she may have once and the threat was all it took after that:(

They use them at a bar here still. I don't know for sure but I thought they used to be called a "short beer"?

Good to meet up with you in real time Dan. I hope all is well. I get the feeling you are a little down lately from what I have read. I hope that is not the case. You are always welcome to visit here if you want to see how miserable things can really be (it is snowing now...drinking season)...

Nice, especially the intended use of the plank. :D

If you want to talk about some zombie bread, get a loaf of Oroweat Oatnut. I had a loaf of that last 3 months on the counter after it was opened. No mold, and it wasn't stale either. I've never actually thrown a loaf of that out.

I can't think of anything better to do with that plank with a handle. I certainly won't put glasses of beer on it...lame.

I do not think I could find that bread around here. I'm going to look it up. Maybe it has some sodium hypochlorite in the ingredients?

Just as I started moaning about my marriage my wife surprises me with a ticket to Hawaii. It was a really good deal. I'll be heading out soon. We need the time together and she has a gigantic honey-do list, plus it's her birthday. Should be a lot of fun, a lot of work but fun too. :D

Just a visit or a move? Thought you already rented your house out. Have fun either way man.

Good to meet up with you in real time Dan. I hope all is well. I get the feeling you are a little down lately from what I have read. I hope that is not the case. You are always welcome to visit here if you want to see how miserable things can really be (it is snowing now...drinking season)...

That will be a good day Ischiavo. I've love to have a brew and brew some beer with you one of these days. Snow? I miss it.. only because I have been away from the stuff for so many years. :)
I wear my heart on my sleeve at times. You're a good bro Ischiavo, there's quite a few good people around here. :mug:

Just a visit or a move? Thought you already rented your house out. Have fun either way man.

Just a visit. Did rent my house out, no need for it with just me here and a new mortgage to pay. I'm temporarily renting a room now. Not moving to HI till early next year for reasons that probably only make sense to me.

I can't think of anything better to do with that plank with a handle. I certainly won't put glasses of beer on it...lame.

I do not think I could find that bread around here. I'm going to look it up. Maybe it has some sodium hypochlorite in the ingredients?
Here is the ingredients list: WHOLE WHITE WHEAT FLOUR, UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, SUGAR, OATS, YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, HAZELNUTS (FILBERTS), SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, CALCIUM PROPIONATE (PRESERVATIVE), MONOGLYCERIDES, DATEM, CALCIUM SULFATE, GRAIN VINEGAR, CITRIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NUTS [WALNUTS AND/OR ALMONDS], WHEY, SOY FLOUR, NONFAT MIL

My cider was at FG after 13 days. That's a little faster then expected, but not shocking. 0.992 So, it is indeed 12%. I'm racking it into one of my kegs now. I'll have to play with how much backsweetening I want. Since I'm going to carbonate, I want to do that before putting it on the gas. Mixing syrup with carbonated beverages usually results in something not so fizzy.

My cider was at FG after 13 days. That's a little faster then expected, but not shocking. 0.992 So, it is indeed 12%. I'm racking it into one of my kegs now. I'll have to play with how much backsweetening I want. Since I'm going to carbonate, I want to do that before putting it on the gas. Mixing syrup with carbonated beverages usually results in something not so fizzy.

Are you planning on killing the yeast since you're back sweetening?

I am not sure why plastic is bad for bread but I am done with plastic bags and wrap and cups and etc... I got a batch of bags (probably from china) that smelled like diesel fuel. I wasnt about to put any food in them. It may be a stupid thing to do since everything we buy comes in some sort of plastic container, even the "organic" stuff. What kind of hipocrites are those guys?

I am remodeling the kitchen and upgrading the brewery currently. I am changing my drinking water line back to copper and getting rid of the pex in the brewery pluming too. I don't know about you guys but I don't trust the FDA.

We will soon be fermenting in stainless too. Now I just gotta figure out how to get the water to the brewshop without a plastic RV hose. And trust that silicone is "safe"...

Make a hose with stainless fittings and silicone tubing if you want ideally food-grade materials, and invest in some braided silicone tubing for the one(s) you specifically need to hold up to household plumbing/water pressures. I think either Midwest or Williams brewing carries the 1/2" braided silicone, at about $7.00/ft.

I only use household water for cleaning/rinsing. I buy large jugs of distilled water for brewing with, pretty cheap from the local grocery store, and add whichever salts I need to get whatever water profile I'm looking for. So I don't really need pressure-rated food-grade hose, but I use it for the minimal length of line from the hot and cold water supply for cleaning anyways.

I've been trying to open a bottle of banana soda I made for about the last 5 minutes. It carbed really well. It's actually pretty good. I'm slightly surprised, I thought this would me slightly nasty. It's banana syrup and water. No spice, no lactose. I'm planning on adding both for a banana cream soda later.

Ok the cider got 2 liters of apple pie syrup, and is on 15 psi now. We shall see how it is this weekend.

I was looking at the nice healthy yeast butter in my fermenter, and decided to pitch a second batch on top of the yeast cake. I've not done that before. It's the same recipes as what is in the keg now. I'll see how it's doing in a couple of weeks.

That will be a good day Ischiavo. I've love to have a brew and brew some beer with you one of these days. Snow? I miss it.. only because I have been away from the stuff for so many years. :)
I wear my heart on my sleeve at times. You're a good bro Ischiavo, there's quite a few good people around here. :mug:

There sure are some good folks around here! I'll be ready when you or any of the other good folks decides to drop by.

Here is the ingredients list: WHOLE WHITE WHEAT FLOUR, UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, SUGAR, OATS, YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, HAZELNUTS (FILBERTS), SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, CALCIUM PROPIONATE (PRESERVATIVE), MONOGLYCERIDES, DATEM, CALCIUM SULFATE, GRAIN VINEGAR, CITRIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NUTS [WALNUTS AND/OR ALMONDS], WHEY, SOY FLOUR, NONFAT MIL

Propionate...that sounds like proprietary. It's a wonder calcium that keeps mold off your bread for years. Side effects: loose bowels and/or death.

Make a hose with stainless fittings and silicone tubing if you want ideally food-grade materials, and invest in some braided silicone tubing for the one(s) you specifically need to hold up to household plumbing/water pressures. I think either Midwest or Williams brewing carries the 1/2" braided silicone, at about $7.00/ft.

I only use household water for cleaning/rinsing. I buy large jugs of distilled water for brewing with, pretty cheap from the local grocery store, and add whichever salts I need to get whatever water profile I'm looking for. So I don't really need pressure-rated food-grade hose, but I use it for the minimal length of line from the hot and cold water supply for cleaning anyways.

I was seriously thinking of making a silicone tubing hose. The regular 1/2" ID 1/8" wall stuff seems pretty tough. It seems like it would handle tap pressures at reasonable temps no? $7/ft will not happen.

So silicone is safe then?

...Propionate...that sounds like proprietary. It's a wonder calcium that keeps mold off your bread for years. Side effects: loose bowels and/or death....
Interesting thought. It's odd though, I've had breads that contain most of those ingredients mold. The only one that seems to be unique to this bread is the vinegar.

Did I mention I knocked a bottle of wine off an upper shelf when I was checking my brews? The bottle is fine. It landed right on my instep. Holy crap did that hurt. I'm still limping a bit from it.

Interesting thought. It's odd though, I've had breads that contain most of those ingredients mold. The only one that seems to be unique to this bread is the vinegar.

Did I mention I knocked a bottle of wine off an upper shelf when I was checking my brews? The bottle is fine. It landed right on my instep. Holy crap did that hurt. I'm still limping a bit from it.

I just pointed out the (I assume) unnatural preservative. Vinegar is a natural preservative so that may be the key.

You should have popped the cork and drank it in one swig for that. Probably not the best advice...maybe rub some vagisil on it?:D

Sorry about that. I've had too many tiny glasses of beer and I have to work tomorrow. It's going to be cold outdoor work. I am so excited. After this tiny beer, I'm off to bed. Have a good night all.

The first person to guess how many tiny glasses of beer that lschiavo drank tonight wins an unlimited amount of lifetime posts on this forum!

Damn...Mondays are getting rough. On top of my 14 hr Monday teaching schedule, I met with my dean and department chair and basically was told that I am the ABET coordinator. It appears that I am the last competent person left standing (the previous person is playing ditzy blonde on purpose, I suspect). Grrr....

The only plus is that I write my own job description for this extra work and can say "Eff You - No" if they ask for anything outside of it. I'll need to close all the loopholes carefully. It's potentially an extra pile of money, but with some unknowns that might test my professionalism. I'm somewhat of a twit in that I'd rather do the right thing for free rather than do the wrong thing for pay.

On the plus side, I am chaperoning a work colleague into the dark art of homebrewing. He's a cool dude and I think will enjoy the hobby. He sure as hell enjoys beer.

I'm just going to finish this SNPA sixer and call it an evening. Gawd, SNPA just slides down so easily on Monday nights!

I just pointed out the (I assume) unnatural preservative. Vinegar is a natural preservative so that may be the key.

You should have popped the cork and drank it in one swig for that. Probably not the best advice...maybe rub some vagisil on it?:D

Sorry about that. I've had too many tiny glasses of beer and I have to work tomorrow. It's going to be cold outdoor work. I am so excited. After this tiny beer, I'm off to bed. Have a good night all.
Nah, it's a wine bottle sure. Only thing is, it's got a soy sauce experiment in it. So, not drinking that.

Oh, didn't you hear? There is a national vagisil shortage. It was caused by a certain HBT user who uses a skull avatar.

Damn...Mondays are getting rough. On top of my 14 hr Monday teaching schedule, I met with my dean and department chair and basically was told that I am the ABET coordinator. It appears that I am the last competent person left standing (the previous person is playing ditzy blonde on purpose, I suspect). Grrr....

The only plus is that I write my own job description for this extra work and can say "Eff You - No" if they ask for anything outside of it. I'll need to close all the loopholes carefully. It's potentially an extra pile of money, but with some unknowns that might test my professionalism. I'm somewhat of a twit in that I'd rather do the right thing for free rather than do the wrong thing for pay.

On the plus side, I am chaperoning a work colleague into the dark art of homebrewing. He's a cool dude and I think will enjoy the hobby. He sure as hell enjoys beer.

I'm just going to finish this SNPA sixer and call it an evening. Gawd, SNPA just slides down so easily on Monday nights!
Hmm, sounds like a mixed blessing. What is the cost of not doing the right thing? Everything has it's price sure, but the ones I'm not willing to pay aren't measured in money.

Latest posts

Back