Will this flavour go away or should I dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William_Stout

Reaction score
My first batch went well, everything has been bottled for almost 4 weeks now, after the first week I tasted one bottle and it was alright. Now it has a very strong Plastic/band-aid flavour. I won't go into details about the recipe but I used water straight from the tap to boil (3 gallons) and then 2.5 straight from the tap to top up the primary. I did some research and yes there is a high amount of chlorine but no chloramine in my local water. is this taste going to mellow out? or should I just dump it. The flavour is very strong and it is basically undrinkable at this point.

Why dump it? At the very least, put it away somewhere and forget about it for a few months and then try it again.:mug:

It will go away. Trust me. Well, mine did. It will take 4-6 weeks in the bottle, but it will subside. I heard something about that taste being Phenolic or something. I have had two batches like this, and both were fantastic after 4 weeks in the bottle. I mean one was real bad. I felt pretty down about it too. I thought I had one of those weird hard to track down problems. So I just left the bottles and went on to other batches which as it would turn out did not have the taste. This gave me hope as it meant it wasn't the water. Ottawa is known for some of the best drinking water in the world. So I went back to the band aid beer expecting to pour it out after one sip and lord tunderin' it was smooth. The joy of this event had me downing the liter and going for a second just to be sure it wasn't a fluke beer. And the other was amazing too. Just like that I reclaimed an entire batch of good beer.

Beer taste can change drastically with times, it's one of the things that has surprised me the most....

Whatever you do, don't dump it!

Where do you live? I will take it off your hands free of charge

hehe I live in Edmonton, but I think I will just let it keep sitting, I'm doing a Red Ale next batch and I think I'm going to de-chlorinate the water first, thanks for the tips guys :mug:

Or just use it for cooking. I found slightly-off beers go great as a marinade, beer bread, sauce, etc.

Latest posts

Back