cooper lager/ale kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterboy

Reaction score
hello all,
I brewed the Coopers Lager that came with the microbrewery kit, brewed it for 10days was 1010 for 2days running. has had it in the bottles for a week now, but decided to test one tonight. the flavor kinda reminds me of an apple cider actually. I know it will improve with age, but would fermenting to hot have caused this off flavor or will it lessen with time. thanks:ban::D

hello all,
I brewed the Coopers Lager that came with the microbrewery kit, brewed it for 10days was 1010 for 2days running. has had it in the bottles for a week now, but decided to test one tonight. the flavor kinda reminds me of an apple cider actually. I know it will improve with age, but would fermenting to hot have caused this off flavor or will it lessen with time. thanks:ban::D

How hot was your ferment? I was able to keep mine between 22-26C and it tasted pretty damned good for being warm and flat before I bottled it.

Mine was 30C when I pitches the yeast. Cooper's says the yeast is good for 18C-32C,but that ale yeast is actually better between 18C-22C. Mine stabilized at 20C,& cleaned up pretty good. But what gets me is,it's a "lager" kit with "ale" yeast! So,what you're making is more of a lite ale.
My next batch,I'm going to treat it as such,& make a pale ale out of it. A bit more like an American pale...:drunk:

I made this for my first brew, fermented at 68 for three weeks and after 2 weeks in the bottle it was pretty good, kinda like a steam beer. Five gallons didn't last very long! I might make it again down the road just to see if the experience I've gained since that first time makes any difference in the beer.

How hot was your ferment? I was able to keep mine between 22-26C and it tasted pretty damned good for being warm and flat before I bottled it.

I pitched the yeast at 28C but after a couple it cooled to an average of 24C. It was down to 22C bottling time. there was no signs of infection r anything of the sort. hope age will improve it as i am not too fond of apple cider:drunk:

I pitched the yeast at 28C but after a couple it cooled to an average of 24C. It was down to 22C bottling time. there was no signs of infection r anything of the sort. hope age will improve it as i am not too fond of apple cider:drunk:

It will get better after 2 weeks in the bottles. I had the same taste and fear, but now that I have had them in bottles for over 2-3 weeks...they taste great. Just take your time, the flavors will start getting better by the day. :mug:

It will get better after 2 weeks in the bottles. I had the same taste and fear, but now that I have had them in bottles for over 2-3 weeks...they taste great. Just take your time, the flavors will start getting better by the day. :mug:

+1. I'm letting mine mature at room temp for 3 weeks (bottled on 2/13/11). Then a week in the fridge to cold shock it. That should clear up any off flavors,not to mention,crystal clear!

I made that one and had the same results. Let it sit 4 weeks in the bottle and you'll be surprised as it gets much better. Still not a great beer if you did it with just the sugar, but it will taste a lot better than it does now.

Rev.

If you made it with the tin of goo and the kilogram bag of dextrose (corn sugar) then the cidery taste is pretty much unavoidable, but will fade with time. I had the same problem with my first few batches, until I started using DME instead, which helps a lot.

Well,since I'd bought the Cooper's DIY full kit,it came with the lager kit (OS lager can,ale yeast sachet,1kg of brewer's sugar (80% dextrose,20% maltodextrine)). It gave a lil more flavor,I guess,but not great from the last hydrometer sample I took. And it still had some of that fruity/cidery thing going,just not as much as I got closer to bottling. This batch,I used the OS lager can with 1.4kg of extra light SDME. That ought to do it...:cool:

Latest posts

Back