Pumpkin ale wax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtbutters

Reaction score
Fellow homebrewers,

A few weeks ago, my roommate and I brewed an AG version of Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. Except for the slow lauter, everything went pretty smoothly. It fermented out pretty well and was a beautiful crystal clear amber color. Last night I tossed a 6 pack in the fridge and a couple of hours later drank one. Tasted great and there was nothing wrong with it. Tonight when I went to grab another one, I noticed that 3 out of the remaining 5 ales had what resembled a white waxy substance floating on top of the beer in the bottle. Didn't see that last night, and definitely would have noticed it. I thought that it was odd that the waxy looking stuff was only in 3 beers.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Was it just shoddy bottle sanitation or did placing the beer in the fridge cause something to precipitate out? Or perhaps some other option I am not able to fathom?

Thanks and happy brewing.

-Evan

I think it could be either of the things you mentioned, although if it's white it could be infection. Might be that some bottles didn't get properly cleaned. If you pour the beer into a glass carefully, you can probably dodge most of it and scoop the rest off the top. In my experience, it's not harmful, but it's kinda sour tasting. Only had that happen to one batch so far.

Latest posts

Back