Hello from Chapel Hill, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Actually I travel professionally and am hardly ever home, but my books are in Chapel Hill, so whatever.

I am, well, I am a pretty good cook. I made my first batch of beer (mixed mostly extract pale ale) about six weeks ago. It was pretty clear about 30 minutes in I was making barley soup or barley stock, only finishing with yeast instead of vegetables. Paid a few dues already I guess.

My fourth batch was Saturday, day before yesterday. I went all grain with 6# pale malts, 0.5# of oatmeal and 0.5# of rice. I ended up with three gallons of sweet at 90, diluted to 5 gallons at 40. The vapors coming off the airlock smell really nice.

I look forward to learning a lot from those of you who klnow what yopu are actually doing. I also will be encouraging anyone to give all grain a try, it isn't that hard.

Next time you are going to steep something, try running rests on a malt that doesn't have any enzymes in it anyway, you aren't going to hurt anything.

Now what do I do about my neighbors showing up for quality control?

It seems presumptuous to welcome you to the forum as I just got here myself, but welcome anyway. I did my first batch yesterday afternoon, and you're right, making beer was very similar to making stock. I suspect that things went as smoothly as they did because it was so familiar.

Take care,
Chad

Chad said:
making beer was very similar to making stock
Shhhh! Don't tell everone.... We would like to keep a little control over who gets in. :D BTW Welcome to the pack, both of you! :mug:

Back