Brew Day Not Going Well...Just Venting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So first I missed my mash temp by about 5 degrees, added too much water to compensate so now I have a thin mash that it still a tad too cold. I am not a happy camper. Good thing I do PMs so I can compensate for missing fermentables before the boil but I am still peeved about it (and goodness only knows how low my efficiency is going to be).

Next time I'm upping the strike temp and taking other steps to make sure I hit 154 degrees.

Damn, sorry dude. That suxxorz. Since your mash is thin, just do a simple, quick decoction to bring it up to temps, rather than another infusion. A thin mash isn't the end of the world, though.

Or just do like I do...and go direct-fired stepped mashes in a kettle. That way, you control your mash temps much more easily...no worrying about infusions (except for the first one) and you can have it as thick or thin as you like.

133f for 30 mins
149-155f for 45 mins
158f for 20 mins or until conversion is complete

Works like a charm.

Evan! said:
Damn, sorry dude. That suxxorz. Since your mash is thin, just do a simple, quick decoction to bring it up to temps, rather than another infusion. A thin mash isn't the end of the world, though.

Or just do like I do...and go direct-fired stepped mashes in a kettle. That way, you control your mash temps much more easily...no worrying about infusions (except for the first one) and you can have it as thick or thin as you like.

133f for 30 mins
149-155f for 45 mins
158f for 20 mins or until conversion is complete

Works like a charm.

Evan - What's your process? I'd love to do direct-fired in my kettle, but then do I need to use a seperate lauter tun for sparging?

David - I ended up closer to 150 :( I'll just be making up for any lack of conversion with extract.

You'll probably have better conversion than at 154F, more action by the beta amylase at lower temperatures. The bigger concern is gelatinization, but an hour mash should cover it.

david_42 said:
You'll probably have better conversion than at 154F, more action by the beta amylase at lower temperatures. The bigger concern is gelatinization, but an hour mash should cover it.

Well I hope I am okay, how would I know if this was a problem?

About the only way to test conversion is using iodine. A drop of wort + a drop of iodine will turn black if there is any starch left.

Well, I'm just gonna RDWHAHB. My efficiency ended up being something like 63%, not stellar, but not so horrible.

Going forward I am going to make some modest changes to my process that I think will result in hitting my temps better.

Well now to add insult to injury, I have absolutely no signs of fermentation after almost 24 hours. My wort is completely clear and there is an inch layer of trub and yeast on the bottom (kinda looks like it does after a month in secondary). I'm starting to think this one might be a total loss - guess I'll have to try again on Columbus Day (thank goodness for holidays).

The bird is right on about this one. Unlikely that it blew through it in a night, but stranger things have happened. Also, you might be part of the way through fermentation, and the yeast still might still be doing their job. Sometimes the airlock won't bubble but fermentation is still going on. The best way to tell is to take gravity readings for a few days. I would hesitate on throwing in the dry yeast until you know for sure.

the_bird said:
You sure it didn't blow through fermenation overnight? Unlikely, but still, take a reading.

No way, there has been zero activity since pitching, no krausen, no cloudiness, nothing. I'm gonna give it another 24 hours and go from there.

I'm wondering if low mash temps could be partly to blame. By the end of the mash I was down below 150; what would incomplete conversion do to fermentation?

I would think if you did not get conversion, you would have a low OG. What kind of yeast did you pitch? I would give it a day or two, maybe just a slow starter? I have had brews like that, and you really start to worry. Good luck. - Dirk

derogg said:
I would think if you did not get conversion, you would have a low OG. What kind of yeast did you pitch? I would give it a day or two, maybe just a slow starter? I have had brews like that, and you really start to worry. Good luck. - Dirk

Yeah, my OG was 1.060 so I know there are fermentables in there; like I said, I'm going to give it another few days, then maybe pitch some dry yeast, then if all else fails, I'll re-brew next weekend.

Thanks for all the input guys, it helps to ease the worrying.

Back