Beersmith SG Calculations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waunabeer

Reaction score
I've noticed on a few of my recipe kits, from Midwest, that their printed SG: is lower than what Beersmith predicts. That will greatly change my efficiency % if I hit what is printed, but not what is predicted. Is there any simple way to change the predicted SG in beersmith?

example: Flat Tire Kit = 1.042 - 1.046 SG (as stated by Midwest)
Beersmith = 1.055 (after I plug in the kit ingredients)

First question is what sg's have you been getting? As far as changing the diastic powers and yield potential in beersmith, you would need whats called the COA which is the certificate of analysis. This is generally provided by the malter of the grains to the distributor which is midwest. If you contact them, they should be able to provide the COA at no charge. The COA will provide the necessary info to change the values such as the yield potential and color values. I hope this answers the question

I've been getting sg's closer to the printed #, which is 8 - 10 pts lower than beersmith resulting in the 50% efficiency range. The beers have been coming out very good so I don't think there is a problem, just a difference from the software.

Okay, like today I brewed a Fat Tire clone from Midwest and they claimed a SG of 1.042 - 1.046 and I hit 1.043 (nearly perfect). BeerSmith is predicting 1.055, which I'm not close to and gives me an efficiency rating of 53%. This has been happening on my last 3 batches. Other than changing the raw ingredient predictions by BeerSmith, is there any other way to override their SG prediction?

Nevermind my previous posts; I just downloaded v2.0 and it easily allows you to adjust the expected starting SG. I guess I'll be buying this version. It looks cool too.

--edit-- I guess in either version if you tweak the grain Yield Potential SG factors, then you can lower the predicted SG to the desired level. I'm asking Midwest if they can provide the COA with their grains so I can be sure each time.

Latest posts

Back