Forgot to take an original gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefranciotti

Reaction score
I brewed an AHS Chocolate Raspberry Stout (partial mash) and forgot to take the OG. I brewed it 1/9 so it's been in the primary for over a month.

I planned on kegging it this morning and the gravity is reading 1.028 & it should be 1.014.

Should I just keg it anyway? I'm carbing this with gas if that makes any difference.

TIA

While 1.014 might have been the target of the person who formulated your recipe, a number of factors may have impacted the fg - the temperature of your mash may have extracted more non-fermentables, the type and health of the yeast, and your fermentation conditions and temperature.

For me, I would probably want a chocolate raspberry stout to be a little sweet with some substance to it. But, I would probably try to rouse the yeast by gently shaking/stirring and making sure the temp is at least 70 degrees.

Good luck!

Thanks. I figure considering it's been in the primary for over a month, it's gotta be done. I'll check again in a few days & as long as it's still the same, I'll get it in the keg.

Back