I'm looking for a holiday spiced recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
I haven't been able to brew in a really long time now (over a year), but I'm looking to get back into it. I wanna do a spiced holiday ale, extract w/ specialty grains is fine. I don't have the facilities to do AG right now. Anyone have some recipe suggestions? I'm tempted to just walk into my LHBS and ask the guy to help me put one together

Well i did a winter spiced ale that is currently fermenting.
I did cheat a bit, i ordered a extract kit that was a fall amber style, changed up the hop characters and i added spices and such to the boil.

I added a few anise stars, orange peel, lemon peel and cinnamon sticks for the last 15 mins of the boil. I added about 1/2 oz of cascade hops in at 30 mins to give it some more hoppiness.

When i shut the fermenter it was a nice dark brown color with a good hint of hops and i could even pick up some of the anise and cinnamon.

Just a suggestion, it was on the fly and i think a very safe winter ale like beer

My Crazy Betty Sweet Potato Pie Ale is good. Just read through the thread to find where I tweaked the spices. Check out my recipe in my profile.

My favorite spice right now for my holliday ale is cardamom... I put it in a sour mash brew and came out awesome... Some dont like it and call it a stinky feet beer...lol.. Maybe I should call it the "Al Bundy" :mug:

well, just racked to my fermenter, didn't hit my estimated OG (1.065-1.068) but don't think I was too far off at 1.062 this might be because for some reason i read mash specialty grains at 155 for 30min as 150 for 20min.... they got 152 for 20min, and 155 for 10min. that, and it's just about impossible to get all the LME out of the can... Oh well, pitched yeast at 76* we'll just have to see what happens. there's a LOT going on in this wort, all the spices and such. looking forward to trying it

I just brewed up the BB Holiday Ale and it's definitely good. No cloves, just cinnamon and orange peel on the pallet and a nice ABV to boot.

There's a good recipe in The Complete Joy of Home Brewing for "Holiday Cheer". However, I find it takes several months for the ginger to mellow out and it's getting really late for this year. I make it every year, but in February.

I haven't been able to brew in a really long time now (over a year), but I'm looking to get back into it. I wanna do a spiced holiday ale, extract w/ specialty grains is fine. I don't have the facilities to do AG right now. Anyone have some recipe suggestions? I'm tempted to just walk into my LHBS and ask the guy to help me put one together

I did a really nice one last year, but I'm at work right now. If I remember when I get home I'll find the recipe and post it.

Actually, I made a pictorial thread about the exact ale I told you about. Just click on the link in my sig. The first link is the thread and has more info than the video.

Back