boil volume effect on ibu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo103

Reaction score
On brew smith checking out my recipe and noticed something I was wondering if anyone could help me with. My batch size is 5 gallon and I do a 2 gallon BIAB (steeping grains) then when done steeping I bring those 2 gallons to a boil and that 2 gallons is my boil volume . Whats weird is that on brew smith It tells.me my boil volume should be 3.67 but I use the extra water to cool my wert down quick by adding the other three gallons to it after the boil. When I adjustthe boil volume from the 3.67 to 2 gallons on beer smith my ibu drop from 24.7 to 12.7 and I was wondering why the ibu would change so much by having less of a boil volume even though the tottal batch size is still 5 gallons?

With lower volume you will have a higher concentration of sugar therefore decreasing the isomerization of hops. Larger volum less concentrated better isomerization.

Yes the boil volume. It is advised for brewers using a partial boil to increase the hop rates to account for higher gravity.

Back