Big clumps of yeast after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezzoblue

Reaction score
After royally screwing up the initial ferment (gory details here) I decided to leave it alone for a few weeks. It's been sitting in the primary undisturbed for 16 days, and I was thinking of bottling on Thursday.

I took a sample tonight for an FG reading. No problems there, it fermented out. But the thief I dipped in came out coated in rather a lot of little brown clumps of yeast, and the sample was also hugely yeasty, hundreds of chunky particles visible in a 4oz sample glass.

So, new strategy. Instead of bottling on Thursday, instead I think I'll rack off to a secondary after all and give it another week or two. I'm not convinced that'll be enough time for the yeast to flocculate out though; if it's this bad at two weeks I don't see it getting much better on its own.

Anyone experienced this? How did you recover?

that may work. you could just leave it in the primary for a while longer. I don't even consider racking out the primary for at least 21 days generally longer. If you are confidant that it is done fermenting you could cold crash it for 72 hours to get the yeast to floculate out.

Wyeast lists 1056 as having 'medium to low' flocculation. So I don't think this is too abnormal. When using Trappist yeast strains, I've had to wait a long time for them to settle out; for this reason, Trappist breweries tend to cold crash/condition their beers, at least partly to decrease turnover time. If possible, you could consider doing the same. If not, you have two potential allies: bentonite, and time.

As an update to this query for the benefit of future searches, time was the answer.

I was only able to leave it in the secondary for a week, but combined with transferring off the original yeast that week seemed to be enough to drop most of it out. It's been bottled for a few weeks now, and the bottles are coming out quite clear.

Back