3 glass carboys for $100...good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
well the title basically says it all. someone I know offered to sell me three glass 5 gallon carboys for $100. is this a good deal or should I try to low ball him?

And 5 gallons doesn't give you any head room, so you would lose a lot to blow off on every beer (unless you make smaller batches).

yeah, they would only be used as secondaries to free up my primary or for apfelwein. thanks for the input everyone. I thought 100 seemed way steep. I'll offer 60 and see what he says.

I purchased 24 of them about 2-3 years ago for $6. each so I figured %15 wouldn't be too high. ;)

Then again, it's all about how badly you want them and how badly he needs to get rid of them.
Sorry, but I have none for sale...:mug:

If they offered to sell you something at an inflated price then you should be offering to buy it at a low ball price - not a fair value price. Offer him/her $30 and tell them you have to clean, sanitize and inspect for cracks, flaws and assorted glass structural issues.

Then again San Diego prices are usually pretty high!

I am in the process of swapping out to Better Bottles. So easy to move around and don't have to worry about one exploding if i drop it. The price for the better bottles should be lower in most of the stores pretty soon because th main plant in Mexico that was making the glass has been shut down and all the glass bottles will be coming over from Italy. Bought some Better Bottles off of Northern for about $25

I have the two 5-gal. glass carboys that came with my MW kit, and in the interim I've added two 5-gal. Better Bottles. Paid about $20 + shipping at MW. No comparison in weight, safety, and ease of cleaning; I'm not looking back.

well I flat out refused his offer. I told him I can find them cheaper and good luck with the sale. I was polite about it as he is a friend(sort of) and he's moving out of his place and is trying to get some money for them. but . . . ! today he realized 2 things. 1) he is trying to sell them for way to high and 2) he is moving out of his place tomorrow and does not want to put them into storage, so he showed up today with the carboys and said I can have them! nothing like 3 free carboys! now I'm off to the store to get 5 gallons of apple juice!

well I flat out refused his offer. I told him I can find them cheaper and good luck with the sale. I was polite about it as he is a friend(sort of) and he's moving out of his place and is trying to get some money for them. but . . . ! today he realized 2 things. 1) he is trying to sell them for way to high and 2) he is moving out of his place tomorrow and does not want to put them into storage, so he showed up today with the carboys and said I can have them! nothing like 3 free carboys! now I'm off to the store to get 5 gallons of apple juice!

I hope you gave him something for them... like maybe a little man-love.

Back