DAy 1 Mash day 2 Boil - problems??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
All of a sudden time is short and a starter is ready. I can not think of any real problems with mashing and then boiling the next day - am I missing anything?

Your mash will sour. The starches have already been converted to sugar, so any rogue bugs can start chomping away up until you boil. It'd be the same as doing your boil, then not pitching your yeast until the next day. You could put it in the fridge to slow any potential activity I'd guess.

I'd put a late night in and get to it.
The mash is not cool and not sanitary.

If you cooled it then kept it cold in a sanitary environment then you could keep it but it's not ideal. do you really not have a couple of hours to complete the brew?

Your mash will sour. The starches have already been converted to sugar, so any rogue bugs can start chomping away up until you boil. It'd be the same as doing your boil, then not pitching your yeast until the next day. You could put it in the fridge to slow any potential activity I'd guess.

It's not the same as not pitching your yeast until the next day. That's not going to sour anything - the wort is boiled and sanitized.

I pitch my yeast the next day all the time if my temps aren't where they at when I want to go to sleep. Never had much of a problem.

Back