Sanke or corney

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireguy29

Reaction score
I'm building myself a kegerator and, assuming space isn't an obstacle, what are your thoughts on Corney kegs vs. Sanke kegs? From the reading I've done it seems Corney, may be a little more user friendly, but they are also more prone to leaks, and it seems they are becoming increasingly expensive and rare. Any other pros and cons, or insight you can offer is much appreciated
Thanks!

I converted from sanke to pin lock, haven't looked back. More room in kegerator, easier hookups and especially cleaning. Sold off my 3 7.5 gal sankeys.

the soda kegs are definitely more popular amongst homebrewers, though sanke kegs are becoming more popular, for the reasons you stated. You definitely don't have to worry about leaks as much with a sanke keg, but you have a smaller opening, you have to deal with the flat spring/ring, etc. Also, sanke kegs of the size you need will either be difficult to find, or just very expensive. If you aren't going to need too many kegs, it isn't too bad.

With that said, I use soda kegs. I have around 100 kegs (currently have over 70 in the walk-in), and have no plans of switching to sanke. I do have a submersible pump that I could use to clean them, but for me, and how many kegs I am using, it just isn't practical or affordable. There are a couple brewers in the club I am a part of that have switched to sanke kegs for serving, they just had too many issues with the soda kegs sealing properly, and they are very happy with sanke kegs.

There are also many in our club that use sanke kegs for fermenting, but that is a different conversation.

What you need to figure out is what are your priorities (ease to purchase, cost, cleaning, etc.) and how many kegs you plan on using. This will give you a better idea of what is most practical for you.

With that said, I use soda kegs. I have around 100 kegs (currently have over 70 in the walk-in), and have no plans of switching to sanke.

Just asking, you have 70 kegs in your walk-in with beer in them? So thats about 350 gallons? Are you using the kegs in a nano brewery?
Was asking because the Nano brewery on my drawing board, would use corny kegs to start, mostly because the cleaning equipment for the sanke kegs is expensive. All brew would be served in house, so no issues with selling kegged beer. I figure I could always sell the corny kegs for about what I paid for them if I had to.

They are not all completely full, and they are not all beer; it includes meads and ciders, and some have been aging for 8-9 years now.

Best of luck with your nano!

I'd recommend starting with Corneys. They have a decent resale value and are in demand, so you can always upgrade later on if you decide you love kegging... or just buy more Corneys! (WARNING: Corney ownership is an addiction. You have been warned.)

Corney kegs are a great way to start kegging. They are easy to clean, and you learn the basics of kegging for a cheaper cost. I had a couple sixlets before, but sold them in favor of Corneys. Never been happier! (However, some brewers are quite the opposite. I guess it's a matter of preference.)

They are also good practice for finding gas leaks. You'll definitely get them on occasion. They also teach the importance of seal maintenance and the Wonders of Keg Lube!

After a while, you'll know what kegs you own are finicky and how to adjust them to seal properly. You'll also have a very thorough understanding of your kegging system and how to troubleshoot. That kind of experience is priceless, especially in the makeshift DIY world of homebrewing and kegging. Once you get it all down, the maintenance becomes second nature.

I will never go back to friggin' bottles!

Agreed regarding cornie kegs, definitely easier for a Homebrewer to work with. Particularly in regard to cleaning. I used to have leaks, then I found keg lube. Haven't had a leak since.

I'm building myself a kegerator and, assuming space isn't an obstacle, what are your thoughts on Corney kegs vs. Sanke kegs? From the reading I've done it seems Corney, may be a little more user friendly, but they are also more prone to leaks, and it seems they are becoming increasingly expensive and rare. Any other pros and cons, or insight you can offer is much appreciated
Thanks!

Used cornies are becoming rare, but there is now a market and new ones are being produced. Depending on where you are located, the new ones aren't THAT much more expensive than used. And they will last a lifetime.

I'm in the process of upgrading to kegs. I've worked in breweries before and always used Sanke tanks. I haven't had to take one apart before and as a I shop I seem to flip flop between corny and Sanke. There also seem to be an ever-growing grocery list for both options as I do more research. Special tools for opening Sankes, poppets and prvs that need replacements on cornies, numerous o rings and leaks to deal with on cornies, and possible ineffectual cleaning of sankes without decent enough water pressure.

How the hell does one decide?

Can people share additional advice they wished they had had before they got their fleet of kegs assembled?

Back