What do you guys think of this 30A switch for controlling element power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it. I have 2 of those in my system. One on the front of my panel, to cut just the 240VAC to the elements, and another in a waterproof housing to cut all the power to the toolbox control panel.

Toolbox_Front_Panel.JPG

240V_power_switch.JPG

I used two in my system for on/off for 4500 watt elements. I used them for three years but ultimately, I replaced them with contactors. I used low voltage switches to control the contactor. You can find contactors for about the cost of the switch you are proposing.
I thought it was a little safer that way. YMMV.

I used two in my system for on/off for 4500 watt elements. I used them for three years but ultimately, I replaced them with contactors. I used low voltage switches to control the contactor. You can find contactors for about the cost of the switch you are proposing.
I thought it was a little safer that way. YMMV.

What is unsafe about this switch? It's the same as any switch in your house.

What is unsafe about this switch? It's the same as any switch in your house.

I think the general concern is that the voltage is traveling through the switch so if you grab it with wet hands or something you could get shocked.. but technically it SHOULD be safe to handle. I just don't see it used as often as contactors and stuff. i was curious why.

i use the switch, but with ssrs and a pid, ssrs can break open, plus i like to know there is a physical break with the element. i have about 40 brews on them so far, havent had isues yet. plus if i am boiling, i use the quick kill to avoid a boil over.

Can a contactor fail closed as well?

Only reason I haven't used switches like these is for aesthetic reasons.

da6836dd.jpg

FWIW, I am not an electrician or an EE. I was using the switch to control up to 30 amps, 240 vac. With a contactor I am using a switch to control less than 5 amps, 120 vac (the contactor coil pulls less than 0.1 amps but my fuse is 5 amps). If you got shocked because of a wet hand which would you rather get hit with? Yes, I know both can kill you but I would rather take my odds with the 5 amps, 120 vac.

Latest posts

Back