anyone have a mango IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phish2160

Reaction score
Looking to brew a mango IPA sometime soon. Anyone try this or have a good recipe?

ive heard of some successes for a mango wheat on these threads....but they suggested really going overboard with the mango puree as it temds to mellow out quite a bit rather quickly. with an IPA you might have to go ape**** for it to come through all those hops.

I would just use citra hops. They are well known for their tropical fruit flavor. Then you could serve the beer with a slice of mango in the glass - in my opinion it would be extremely difficult to capture the bright fruity flavor of mangos in a beer.

I've never tried it, but it sounds like an excellent idea. I'd use some kind of combination of amarillo/simcoe/citra hops to bring out that tropical fruit type flavor. Fruit IPA has always sounded like an interesting idea to me, but I haven't ever actually gotten around to brewing one.

I had a commercial IPA once that was brewed with lemon and orange zest. It was phenomenal!

The only suggestion I would make would be to only use 2 row, and maybe 4 ounces of honey malt or 6 ounces of crystal 10. Definitely nothing really malty, as it would quickly overwhelm any fruit flavors you had worked hard to create.

Interesting...like the above posters, try "fruity" hops, cascade and centennial would be some other choices. I would add mango extract or peel 30 minutes left in the boil then dry hop in a secondary as well.

Also as stated, hops are the main thing coming through, its really hard to overcome. I've been trying to naildown an orange/grapefruit IPA for months...I can't taste my last three experiments until the new year but I've gotten some nice results so far with a combination of the above suggestions and a few other things.

Is there such thing as a mango honey you could prime with?

Latest posts

Back