Eggish Oder From German Wheat Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
Can't remember exactly what I used, 80% sure it was thins one:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=135

Either way it was some kind of german wheat-ish yeast. Five gallons, in the carboy now, about 50% wheat, 50% grain. The smell isn't quite 'rotting', like I've read about, but it's defiantly some kind of sulfer-something (I'm no chemist), and it's stronger than any batch I've brewed before, however this is the first time I've used this strain.

I'm brewed close to 20 batches but I've never had a smell quite as strong as this one. I sanitize the crap out of everything, so I don't think I have a ramped infection problem—although that's obviously a possibility.

I'm getting a very healthy fermentation, which started (along with the oder) within 24 hours. Anything I can do, or do I have nothing to worry about?

Thanks!

Lots of yeast put out a sulfur smell. It's nothing to worry about. If you Google "wyeast 3068 sulfur" you'll see several threads describing the same thing. White Labs California V put out so much sulfur on me one time that I thought I'd choke to death on it.

The sulfur smell will go away, you just need to give it time.

Oh yeah I just pitched a dunkelweizen on a regular wheat beer yeast cake, smelled like complete ass for 2 days in my basement. Like if I ate way tooo many beans. I convinced myself that this smell is good for my fermentation .

Back