Convert recipe to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renevdb

Reaction score
I have made this extract recipe a few times and it comes at really nice. Now want to convert it to all grain. What would be the best replacement for the extract. My efficiency is around 78 but and getting better with each batch :ban:

Extracts
7.25 pounds LME - Extra Light
Grains
0.25 pounds Belgian Biscuit Malt
0.25 pounds Belgian Aromatic Malt
0.25 pounds German Light Munich Malt
0.13 pounds Honey Malt
Adjuncts
0.50 pounds Belgian Clear Candi Sugar
0.13 pounds Malto Dextrine
Miscellaneous Ingredients (Non-Fermentable)
1 tsp Irish Mosh @ 15 minutes (Boil)
Hops
0.75 ounces Galena Galena @ 60 minutes
0.50 ounces Williamette @ 15 minutes

Thanks for any suggestions :rockin:

Generally, you can use 1 pound 2-row for .75 pound LME. You may need to adjust slightly based on your efficiency, but that should get you close.

With a 78% efficiency, you 9.5 pounds of 2-row should be about right.

I am no expert on this subject but I don't see that efficiency with an extract brew translates into AG efficiency. Point being that you might not get anywhere near 78% on your first AG brew, so don't be bummed out until you do a few batches.

An extract has already had it's conversion from the grains under a manufacturing process that is usually more efficient than most homebrewers can achieve.

Please correct my logic if it is wrong!

I would probably use 10 pounds of 2 row. maybe even marris otter for more flavor. with 78% eff, that should be pretty close. my suggestion is to get beersmith. they have a convertion button that will do this and get pretty close aswell!

Will try some 2-row and give this oldie a retry. Thanks for the suggestions and I think I will improve my efficiency by running my grain through the mill at the HBS two or three times. It does not seem to be doing a great job.

i honestly dont know why you would want to do that. 78% eff is a little high in my book. I calculate mine around 65%. when you get higher than 75% then you are just upping your water to grain ratio (using less grain). Infact most big breweries calc around 68%. make sure if you do decide to mill twice get about a .25 pound of rice hulls in your mash.

Back