Secondary airlock activity, or lack of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is anything the matter with a batch I have sitting in secondary right now. It's been in secondary for nearly two weeks (I'm planning 5 weeks total), and the airlock (bubbler type) is showing only the slightest amount of positive pressure in the carboy - I'm talking like half a centimeter or less difference in the water levels on the two sides of the airlock. This beer has a little over 6% ABV based on the starting and transfer gravities, and I used US-56 Safale yeast.

My first and third brews showed enough positive pressure throughout secondary to keep the water level all the way to the bottom of the inside-side of the airlock, and they bubbled occasionally. This second batch did bubble when I first moved the carboy, which pulled some CO2 out of solution, but the airlock has been showing pretty much no activity since then other than minor positive pressure.

Is the ABV high enough to kill the yeast? Or is this normal and not an issue? I'm just wondering if I'll need to add something like champagne yeast at bottling time to get any carbonation.

I think it's one of those, relax have a 6 pack situations. 6% ABV will not kill that yeast. The beer will be just fine, I haven't looked that closely at my airlocks on the secondary, but they don't bubble much, if at all, and I don't think the water levels are much different.....it could be partially due to the amount of water in the airlock. Next batch I get going I'll have to look.

It is normal for there to be no airlock activity during secondary, provided that fermentation was complete during primary.

If you are getting airlock activity in the secondary, it is usually because you transferred too early or possible infection.

Take a gravity reading, you are probably done. Racking to a secondary is not really a second fermentation...unless more fermentables are added. Transferring to a secondary just gives the beer time to clear.

Sometimes fermentation may pick up briefly after transferring to a secondary due to rousing the yeast, but it is usually minimal...to the point where you do not get bubbles in the airlock, but enough to provide a slight CO2 blanket to protect your beer.

RDWAHAHB.

Cheers.

BrewStef

The airlock activity I'm getting on batch #3, which was transferred after 7 days in primary last Sunday, is a bubble about every 5 minutes. I guess the yeast are just done entirely and are taking a break in batch #2.

Latest posts

Back