Well, this is strange.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skullfingr

Reaction score
100_10531_zps54c509bb.jpg

Made a pumpkin beer.

Recipe (what's in it):
2row barley
6row Barley
Crystal Malt
Pumpkin Meat
Irish Moss
Spices

The wort was thick coming out. Topping off with water lead to this emulsification. Very strange. Any ideas?

I personally would be attaching a blowoff tube to that one.

Sorry, but that's awesome. Cool as hell, and I'm sure it's going to settle - it's fermenting, good sign.

How are you mashing and sparging?

Your wort should come out fairly clear after vorlaufing and filtering thru the grainbed. Looks like stirred up mash went into the fermenter to me.

Def not mash residue. The stuff you see is cold break protiens that wind up looking like wet popcorn. Altough some fine particles of the mashed grains might add to the total protiens in the fermenting wort,creating a huge cold break.

How are you mashing and sparging?

Your wort should come out fairly clear after vorlaufing and filtering thru the grainbed. Looks like stirred up mash went into the fermenter to me.

Unable to vorlauf. I have to modify the mash tun first and I don't have the tools or equipment.

if it's a one gallon batch, it's unlikely he's mashing in a cooler, unless it's a small water bottle type or something. I used to mash in a stock pot when I was doing 1 gallon batches.

Does your cooler have a drain hole/plug?

Yes.

I have two coolers. One 2 gallon, one 6 gallons and I use either depending on the size of the batch. Using the drain hole, however, gets it plugged up really fast.

Yes.

I have two coolers. One 2 gallon, one 6 gallons and I use either depending on the size of the batch. Using the drain hole, however, gets it plugged up really fast.
I was going to suggest the simplest solution for you to make a filter braid with little to no tools and ~ $10 cost.

You just buy a $5 stainless toilet hose from your hardware store, cut off the ends(I bet a hardware store would do this for you if you asked) and slip the braid off.
Hammer it flat on one end then fold/hammer it a couple more times to seal 1end.

Buy 1ft of 3/8 ID vinyl tubing and stick it thru your cooler hole, zip tie the braid on it inside, then buy a 3/8 valve and plug it in the outside.

Viola! 10 minute, $10 mash tun. Like this but you don't even need the clamps--none needed outside and only a zip tie inside-> 5 years using my tun like this. http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm

Okay, I figured out a vorlauf technique that worked but the wort still looks like it's got crap in it! I'm beginning to think it's the freaking Irish Moss, because I didn't get this the first time.

Is there any way to get rid of the wet popcorn crap? I made the pumpkin ale into a secondary but it didn't get all of it.

I did that with the original picture and it slipped right through. I took the wet popcorn crap and siphoned through a cheesecloth filter and I was able to get about 95% out, but now after bottling theres still about 1/8th teaspoon of the stuff in each bottle!

Back