12x12x6 BCS-460 Control panel is a tight fit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like the hear this as well just finishing my panel now and and starting to think about programming my brew day with the bcs-460.
Thanks

PLOVE-

To be honest, I've only been able to squeeze in about 8 batches on it so far, but typically I am in the 4-5hr range . I will usually fill the HLT and start it heating, then get things set up for the brew day.

I have set up a Strike water program, and a mashing program, but for right now I still monitor the dough-in, sparging process, and the boil in manual mode. Eventually I will like to have one program, where I will need to only re-position the valves and okay the system to advance to the next step, but that will be in a while. I built a shed out back at my house, so I can clear out the garage and have it exclusively for a brew space, and I think getting things more organized will speed things up a lot.

Im probably going to reduce my Mash saccrification rest down from 45min to 20min. but that is not that much time off the brewday, but I feel I can get it down into the 3.5-4.5hr brewday range.

I'll see what I can post when I get home, I'm not too computer savvy, but I think a screen shot of the programing page might be helpful to explain the programing. Also Id like to see what others are using. Might be a good topic for a new thread.

I have a program I set up on the laptop for the BCS, then use my BrewMate Android app to monitor and control the process. I have a wireless unit attached to the BCS that can operate as an AP or as a client bridge depending on where I am brewing. If I am at home, I link everything to my wireless network. Having the andorid app lets me do other things around the house and still keep track of temps and processes. My system is COMPLETELY automated with solenoid valves redirecting flow at the right times and such, so I have no valves to switch manually. I could brew "remotely" if I wanted to minus filling the water, doughing in, and adding hops. If I'm brewing at a competition or something, I put the unit in AP mode and link directly to it. My brew day is about 4-5 hours depending on time of year (takes longer to chill in the summer here in TX).

My system is COMPLETELY automated with solenoid valves redirecting flow at the right times and such, so I have no valves to switch manually.

Sounds awesome. I assume you're hard plumbed then? How well do the automated valves work for you? I've found that with my system I really have to feather them on the pump output side to get the flow just right when I'm recirculating through the HERMS or fly sparging. Can you set your valves to an intermediate flow rate?

PLOVE

I know, for some people thats what they brew in a month.I've been able to get 30 done in about a year, Im trying to brew twice a month now that my son is getting older (two on the 17th) its a little easier to sneak away for a few hrs. So far Iv only had one hicup that was not self induced. I lost my #2 SSR I think it might just be a loose wire, but I have not been able to track it down. I'm most likely going to rebuild the panel some time this summer, and upgrade to the BCS460, so I can use it to control the fermenters too.

This weekend Im home alone so I brewed Saturday and sunday. here are some pictures.
IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

Did a little Upgrayedd ( the two D's for a double dose of pimp'n)...

Not too much, but I moved the eStop, added a Buzzer and an override switch so both 220 outlets can be live at once. This will be to power my BIAB/Rims kettle that I'm almost done building. The RIMS tube has a 2500W 220VAC ULWD element in it and the kettle is a 5500W fold back.

I'm Looking to do some 5 gallon BIAB batches at night, so I figure I can cut a couple hours off my brew session doing the BIAB, vs running the full three kettle set up. Hoping to get my first batch brewed next weekend with the new set up. :rockin:
IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

Fired it up tonight to test out the wireless connectivity with the BCS and test out all the switches light up the right indicators, and tested the buzzer. All worked fine, now for a wet test this weekend where i will clean and re-passivate the kettles . Then Its back to brewing.

Also Id like to thank PJ once again for the e-Stop design, I accidentally had the E-stop in the engaged position when I first plugged in the control panel, and tripped my GFCI twice before I figured out it was the E-stop. rest it and it all worked fine!

Back