Getting bourbon soaked oak chips in my secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jghbt

Reaction score
I'm doing the NB bourbon barrel porter recipe right now. I sanitized a jar, put in the oak chips & the bourbon. In a few days I'll be transferring the jar's contents & my porter to a secondary (a 5gal better bottle) for a week or two in order to soak up the oaky, bourbony goodness.

It occurred to me that I have no idea how to get the cubes into my better bottle in a sanitary way. I've got a funnel but I am 99% sure the cubes are too big to pass through it. Pouring won't work as the opening of the better bottle is too small. I suppose I could make sure my hands are clean, soak them in starsan and then drop the cubes in by hand?

I've never used oak cubes, but from your description and if it were me... I would put on a pair of latex gloves, dip my hands in sanitizer, and put them in one by one by hand.

Cool guys, that's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some obvious (but not to me) method of getting them in there which was better.

Cool guys, that's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some obvious (but not to me) method of getting them in there which was better.

I don't do the gloves and stuff. Just pour the stuff into the carboy, using my clean fingers to "help" it along. It's pretty easy, and it works well.

I'm with Yooper. I've made that kit twice now, extact and AG. Don't pick your nose while you do it, but c'mon the stuff is soaked in bourbon. I just dip my hands in a ready bucket of starsan and start dumping. Especially the second time when I had honey in the mix with the bourbon and oak cubs...got a bit messy but it worked out fine.

Another option would be to have your secondary in a bucket rather than a carboy.

Think about it: the oak is soaked in bourbon(80 proof?), and primary fermentation is complete or near complete. Chances of infection are negligible at best. Normal sanitation practices probably aren't necessary, but good in practice anyway. I may have to try this kit. Sounds yummy.:mug:

Think about it: the oak is soaked in bourbon(80 proof?), and primary fermentation is complete or near complete. Chances of infection are negligible at best. Normal sanitation practices probably aren't necessary, but good in practice anyway. I may have to try this kit. Sounds yummy.:mug:

Good point.

Unsolicited aside, that is a GREAT kit, and it isn't hurt by a little extra (uncalled for) dry hopping)

Yeah, I tried a sample of the porter about a week ago to get a gravity reading (1.018 IIRC), and even on its own it was a fantastic beer.

yoyur gonna love the end result. I'm drinking one now, I brewed it two Months ago today. The pint tastes better today than it did yesterday! But hell, i can t wait any longer. I used 18 oz of Makers Mark instead of the rcommended 16oz:mug:

Latest posts

Back