Effects of not fully decanting yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
Now I am sure this is a RDWHAHB moment but i wanted to more fully decant my yeast starter that I am about to pitch into my English IPA tonight. I left just under 600 ml's of the starter wort and have already gotten the yeast back into suspension. Will this ~600 ml's of starter wort have much of an impact on my beers bitterness and flavor? Please, someone help to ease my mind here.

I always dump the whole starter in, not going to worry about how @ 800 ml is going to affect the overall taste of the 20820 ml's of wort that I'm pouring it into (it's less than 4% of the total volume).

With a 5 gallon batch that amount will have no affect on your beer's profile. I doubt that much would even change a 1 gallon batch. You'll be fine.

Bisco_Ben said:
Now I am sure this is a RDWHAHB moment but i wanted to more fully decant my yeast starter that I am about to pitch into my English IPA tonight. I left just under 600 ml's of the starter wort and have already gotten the yeast back into suspension. Will this ~600 ml's of starter wort have much of an impact on my beers bitterness and flavor? Please, someone help to ease my mind here.

It's not really a big deal so don't worry:)

I always use extra light DME for all my starters to ensure I never have a negative effect on my beer. If per say you were brewing a light beer like a Hefe and your starter was with a dark DME or something then I would consider the effect:mug:

Thanks guys, that is what I expected. Sometimes I guess I just need to hear someone else say it. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back