Forgot an Ingredient, what do i do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mioduz

Reaction score
I was making a batch of a clone of mad elf. The recipie calls for 2 lbs of amber dry malt extract. As the title states i forgot to put it in. I finished about 24 hours ago and fermentation has started. Should i leave it out? Add it? Add it in Secondary?

You could create a syrup with it and add it.
2lbs of extract is pretty significant, you'll probably end up with a batch of mad bud elf light, if you don't add it in some way. With high gravity beers, people often times add malt after the initial fermentation has started to prevent the yeast from getting stuck, so you're probably fine doing the same. I'm just not sure if you'd want to boil it for an hour as the recipe would have expected or just add it after a short boil and cool cycle.

Ok next question is do I pull some beer out of the fermenter to make the syrup or just use fresh water

I'd say stick with water. that's be a lot of beer to pull out for 2 pounds of extract and you'll end up boiling away most of the alcohol that the yeast has already made.

Last question. Any problem with mixing in the syrup vigorously to the mash? Or just pour it in and don't mix

Last question. Any problem with mixing in the syrup vigorously to the mash? Or just pour it in and don't mix

The mash?

If it were me I would leave it as is and just chalk it up to A) not a mad elf clone anymore...but still beer!! B) keep a detailed brew day log/schedule on paper or computer, C) dont drink until wort is in fermenter and yeast is pitched.

Pour it in as quietly as possible, not vigorously.

EDIT: I'm sure you meant "fermenter" not "mash".

Back