Oops, Overreacted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
So I made an American Amber today, Jamil's recipe. When I measured my Pre-Boil Gravity, I read it as 1.033. I wanted 1.044. So I freaked out and ran to my computer to use my brewing software to figure out how much DME I'd need to get 1.051 for my OG. Phew! 1.7 lbs - had plenty of DME on hand. So I dumped it all in (boilover ensued). Then at end of my boil I chilled my wort, and when I was racking into the primary I took the OG, confident that I would not undershoot it. 1.069!!!:drunk: No idea what happend. So then again I ran to my computer to see how much water i'd need to dilute it to at least to the 1.0050s. So I both overcorrected and then recorrected my beer today. I got the OG down to 1.059. It will be a bit more alcoholic but delicious. I'm not worried about the beer, its just right when I think I'm getting the hang of things I lose control of the process. Can anyone relate?

I've had something similar to this happen not too long ago.. I checked my preboil gravity using my OG estimation, so I was pretty low... So I threw in a bunch of DME, only to soon realize that I was using the wrong numbers. These types of things love to happen to me, haha.

Back