Whirlpooling with a spoon... dip tube to the side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfire12

Reaction score
so I installed a dip tube into my keggle finally and aimed it to the outside. I don't use a pump yet and just have 10 gallon coolers for my hlt and mlt. I'm brewing this weekend and I'm curious to try out some form of whirlpooling. I guess my question is do I chill everything down and then stir like crazy then let it sit for awhile before I drain the keggle? I use an imersion chiller. After I add my whirlflock tablet and it starts to chill as of now I can watch stuff fall out of the wort to the bottom I don't know if stirring after its chilled and started falling out will just stir everything back up into suspension or not. Do I stir and let it set until it settles out again? Last batch I did I lost efficiency because I was using an auto siphon and pulled it early because I was sucking up too much trub. I'd like to eliminate that this weekend. Looking for tips, thanks in advance!

I use a method pretty much like you outlined, chill with IC, remove IC and start a good whirlpool with a spoon, I then keep stirring but gentle slow down over about 30sec and allow everything to settle out. Sometime it clears in 30min sometime it takes a couple hours. I do my clean up while it settles and normally siphon off clear wort in about an hour or so. I tilt the kettle gently toward the end to get more clean wort. The slow down part seem to help get the hop matter to form a nice cone in the middle. I also found that I get a better cone of hop material without a dip tube, guessing it creates eddies.

Seems like less whirlfloc helps too, I use 1gm (about half a tablet)for 5gals.

You loose a lot of beer without a dip tube in a kettle. Then like all of us do we greedily tip the kettle.. I want to get a Ss trub damn for my kettle or just make my own. I smell weekend project.

Latest posts

Back