ELM 327 scan tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the ELM 327? I know they don't support the extended OBDII codes for the various manufacturers nor are they as good as the more pricey units, but they're so damn cheap I can't help but wonder if they're completely useless or if there's something there.

I'm looking at something to interface with my laptop preferably through the USB port. eBay has hundreds of these things for sale all the time. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

I own this one, and it's served me well so far. I can use it both on my 1996 Ford and 2006 Dodge. I haven't used the USB feature yet, but it did come with software and a USB cable to connect it to a computer for supposedly advanced lookup features.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like it's just a code reader, right Yuri? I'm looking for something that will give me real time data, data logging, and extended codes for Chrysler. I don't think the ELM 327 will give all that, but for $50 it might give me pretty much what you're getting.

Yeah, the Innova is just a code reader. It does give some brand specific/extended data along with what they call "freeze frame" data for some codes, but there's no data logging or real time functionality. I'm not sure that the ELM unit will do much better, but the price is right.

This is what I use for my truck except it is the Ford Version.
XCal2

They aren't cheap but they let you do everything you are talking about, plus if you find a good tuner a tune will cost you about $50. They do make a significant difference.

I've used mine to data log and pull codes. Plus if you want you can use it for wide band o2 sensors to boot.

They are locked to a vehicle's VIN for tunes but you can data log and pull codes for other cars.

That's quite a device, virtuous, but a little overkill for my Grand Caravan. The issue isn't in finding a device to do what I want. I have my eye on a couple of good ones, but they're in the range of $300 - $400. What I'm looking for is information on the ELM 327 that is much cheaper. I'll eventually buy the Auto Enginuity or Autotap but I was thinking about getting the ELM in the interim. I'm looking for information on that one.

Latest posts

Back