Aquariam Pumps-Does it matter what kind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanwolfhausen

Reaction score
I was in Petsmart and saw pumps and was wondering for aeration does it matter what kind to get?

I am gonna get one then!! But, before I do I am gonna try the olive oil trick.haha Either way I will still get one though.

ok i know this doesn't anwer your question but when i was doing a search for pumps since i'm in the process of making an all grain system and trying to decide on whether to do a single tier or gravity system.

anyways didn't know you could get pumps so cheap and was wondering what pumps you guys have purchased.

and i have a funny question to ask thats partially serious more out of couriosity. could you use breast pumps to do the job? i know its probably no but had to ask haha.

gumby1220 said:
ok i know this doesn't anwer your question but when i was doing a search for pumps since i'm in the process of making an all grain system and trying to decide on whether to do a single tier or gravity system.

anyways didn't know you could get pumps so cheap and was wondering what pumps you guys have purchased.

and i have a funny question to ask thats partially serious more out of couriosity. could you use breast pumps to do the job? i know its probably no but had to ask haha.
A breast pump, or at least the type my wife used, was a vacuum pump, not the type to push air into your wort.

Seriously, an aquarium pump can be had for under $10 at petsmart or walmart. Leave the breast pump to the kiddies.

haha alright yeah i knew the answer already just had to ask since when i googled pumps breast pumps popped up like no other. good to hear pumps are cheap so i'll be doing a single tier setup instead of gravity. thanks for the info.

gumby1220 said:
haha alright yeah i knew the answer already just had to ask since when i googled pumps breast pumps popped up like no other. good to hear pumps are cheap so i'll be doing a single tier setup instead of gravity. thanks for the info.

Just so you know, they are talking about air pumps for aeration of the wort. You are looking at something to pump boiling hot wort, which is going to be more expensive (though under $100 if you catch a good deal on e-bay)

conpewter said:
Just so you know, they are talking about air pumps for aeration of the wort. You are looking at something to pump boiling hot wort, which is going to be more expensive (though under $100 if you catch a good deal on e-bay)

whoa you saved me from making a trip to the store. didn't realize that. so what type of pump should i get?

Latest posts

Back