What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night a brewed 2.5 gallon batch of Grodziski, (used a Wilser bag- what a pleasure easy to clean too 5 stars) and this morning pitched the kolsch yeast into it.
Checked gravity and tasted the sample of my wee heavy, yum.
:cask:

Yesterday I bought some used brewing hardware: Hop Rocket, Stir Plate, Malt Mill, and a 10 gal. Mash Tun (Home Depot Drink Cooler).Now I can make that Quad Double NEIPA RIS that won't fit in my 5 gal. mash tun.

Today I brewed a batch of an authentic London Porter with brown malt. I will get two 5 gallon kegs of finished product, so in one keg I am going to add toasted coconut and see what happens. Very enjoyable brew day I might add. 74 degrees on my back lanai. All my boys came over and the wives, and my grandchild! The boys all brewed with me and the girls made cookies with my wife. Awesome day with the family! Gotta love Christmas time!

John

Pulling the PRV on my Pliny clone that I kegged yesterday. Also finally jerryrigged the co2 manifold to the side of the fridge with red wire to keep it out of the way; it's been just hanging there by the hose since I set up the kegerator (always more important things to drink/do). No more brewing until after we get back from vacation in January (Mazatlan! First time out of the country in 30+ years! Sunshine! Maitais! Sand in my shorts!) and thinking up what I want to brew. Probably something darker since the Holiday Ale and the Oatmeal stout I have right now soured for some reason and are nasty. I've got another batch of the Pliny in the lineup that will be kegged next weekend so should have enough to last over the holidays.

Kegged my Vienna lager yesterday and chilled it overnight. Now’s the time to hit it with gelatin and let it sit for lagering.

Later I’ll make root beer for my nieces.

I transferred 4 gallons of chocolate milk stout to a keg and cleaned the fermenter. Sample tasted yummy! I also sorted through my grain bins to figure out what I need for my next four recipes.

I made a batch of mini christmas cakes with an imperial stout I brewed mid year. Find out in the morning how they taste.
Kegged a pacific ale. Brewday tomorrow.

I bottled an exquisite velvety kölsch and a curiously peppery amber hefeweizen. The kölsch was so delicious from the gravity sample that I banked two 4oz. jars of slurry for an upcoming rebrew.

110 bottles total. Took all day with my wing capper.
Looking forward to getting into kegging in 2018.

Emptied my malt bag I totally forgot to do after the weekend brew... Went to the garage and was bitchslapped with a rancid stench, when I lifted the SS bucket where the bag was it was hot to the touch cause the malts had started to decompose so fiercly! Took a fair bit of scrubbing to get the bag cleaned, tossed it into the washing machine just to be safe too.

Today I brewed a 6 gallon batch of 1.072 belgian dubbel. It was my first use of belgian candi sugar which I added at the start of the boil so I could record pre-boil gravity; I panicked for a bit that the added sugar would cause scorching on the electric elements, but when I finished transferring to the fermenter the elements were clean with a thin layer of white residue, so no chance of a scorched flavor.

On monday I bottled two batches; a batch of kölsch and a curiously peppery hefeweizen. 110 bottles total.

Today I brewed a 6 gallon batch of 1.072 belgian dubbel. It was my first use of belgian candi sugar which I added at the start of the boil so I could record pre-boil gravity; I panicked for a bit that the added sugar would cause scorching on the electric elements, but when I finished transferring to the fermenter the elements were clean with a thin layer of white residue, so no chance of a scorched flavor.

On monday I bottled two batches; a batch of kölsch and a curiously peppery hefeweizen. 110 bottles total.

You have an electric system and you still bottle?

Kicked my red IPA last night. Freaked out a bit that everything except my DIPA was about empty. Swapped in a pacific ale and keged a pale too, kegerator will be full by New Years but no pipeline. Must brew lots this week.

Took a gravity sample, stirred yeast back into suspension and raised the temp on my fermenter.

Bottled an Irish Red that I brewed four weeks ago. I've been getting a bit complacent, hence the lag time. I'm glad I did though, as it is outstanding even when warm and uncarbonated. I did that while brewing a batch of an IPA that a couple of people who I shared it with have been asking about recently. I got a bit bored with hoppy beers but the love is clearly out there, and I've been kinda hankering myself after taking a break from them.

I finally got around to bring the scotch ale that I received for last Christmas. I brewed it on eclipse day, just kegged it today, and force carbonated.

Will be enjoying tomorrow.

Was about to bottle my Smashed Otter today until I realized it has fermentd for only a week so let that be for now and instead empty the failed Operation Chariot bottles to the drain and wash the bottles tonight, plus clean all of the equipment for a brew day this wednesday. For once gonna get to brew at daytime.

Kegged a stout. Got my CO2 cylinder refilled and had a leak somewhere after that (could hear gas flowing). Seemed to be from all four gas disconnects, which is crazy. Lubed up all the posts and reseated one keg lid, seemed to help. Otherwise I'll be the gas companys best customer this week.

Brewed one AG batch, and one extract batch. Not entirely sure what will come of the extract batch because the instructions said I should put 1kg of LME and 600g of sugar to make 20L of it, quick "wait, what" and brewers friend calculator said it would barely have 3% so ended up using two of the 1kg cans and a full kilo of sugar. OG said 1.048-1.050 just like BF said and tasted fairly ok. Never used that particular LME before, should yield some sort of a "dark" beer but the tin wasn't too spesific what kind.

Later today gonna order a Corona malt mill which will see some minor upgrades+motorization.

Oh, and fitted a motion sensor LED light into the garage so I won't trip onto the brewing gear and other stuff before getting the lights on.

Last edited:
  • cleaned two kegs
  • consolidated two yeast starters. i made them a couple weeks ago for a pilsner but they weren't ready in time (had to use dry yeast). so i moved them out of the large half gallon mason jars into pint jars.
  • labeled yeast slurrys in the fridge. had a few mason jars with no labels on them, took some research to figure out which was which and get labels added.

Woke up this morning with dread that I underpitched the Arrogant Bastard clone I brewed yesterday...crept into the back room where it's about 59 to find a rich creamy layer of krausen already formed and bubbles every 10 seconds or so. Temperature holding good at 66-68, also this one's in the carboy so I can sneak in there every once in a while and gaze lovingly at the yeasties bouncing up and down. I've been no-chilling for the last several brews, but two (rather pricey) failures and two meh IPA's had me dragging out the IC for yesterday's brew. Extremely cold ground water got it down to 75 in about 10 minutes after a frantic search through house & garage trying to find the other garden hose quick connect (it was in my makeup drawer. I don't know why.). Something tells me I've got something spectacular going.

Back