Sight Glasses ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Hey brewers, I have been looking to add sight glasses to my kettles and wanted to know if anyone has had luck with certain types, DIY, or good one's to use. Anybody have a reason why these are not such a good way to go? Need some info on them. Cheers

beer4breakfast said:
I just wish he would fix his site so the images don't cover up the words, which makes it impossible to read.

I just happened to see this searching for a sightglass solution. I had the same problem with FireFox, but switch to IE and his sight looks fine.

I wanted one for the boil to get a good measurement of pre-boil wort volume and to monitor the evaporation more closely to hit the final volume.

I ordered an 8 ft. length of 3/8 polycarbonate tube from McMaster last week and made a sight tube for my keggle. I still have 6.5 ft left.

2164665190026788845S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:off:

I have a 1x2 four foot long piece of spruce. It isn't even cleanly sawed...it was broken over my knee. It has gallon and 1/2 gallon marks etched into it using a dremmel. I had to use roman numerals for the numbering since I only had a cut-off disk.

It looks mean - and I like it.

Cheers.

Back