Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadFan

Reaction score
Cyser
6lb Sue Bee wildflower honey
equal to 2 gallons whole foods apple juice
yeast
Born Thursday 18th August 2011
my question is, should i rack at 2 weeks or a month? In my experience cysers seem to ferment more rapidly.

Don't rack it at either time point... rack it when it's ready!

I speak tongue in cheek, but seriously, there's no set time point for when you should rack. Racking should occur (assuming you do it at all...) when primary ferment is completely done, and you've had essentially total or near total clearance of the mead.

With my annual cysers, I've found that they clear exceedingly well on their own without a secondary, and I usually just leave them alone, and bottle directly from primary after anywhere from 4-6 months. I'm not 100% sure you will see this same behavior from apple *juice* or not...I've suspected that perhaps some of the solids suspended in the natural/fresh pressed cider that I use may help with this process...I'd be curious to have you post back your observations as well....

It was racked on the 5th of September.
I have another batch that i made on the 26th of september and it is still fermenting in the primary, and it is clear as a bell. I see no reason to put it in the secondary, at least for cysers, which in my experience clear faster than other meads.

I haven't heard of much difference using juice from the store versus fresh pressed juice. My brew pal made his with filtered juice and it cleared exceedingly well also.

hello im new to making cyser and will like to ask a question when is it neccesary to adjust with acid blend? when one is above 4 PH?
Is it the same way as would one do it in wine NaOH molarity, NaOH amount (ml), sample size (ml) parameters ask in wine makers toolbox
what about tartaric acid?

Back