Calculating Extract Fine from Extract Coarse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnatron

Reaction score
If I have the figure for Extract Coarse Dry Basis (in this case 79.6), and the figure for Fine/Coarse Difference (in this case 1.0), how - or can I - calculate the figure for Dry Yield Fine Grain?

All of the figures:

Extract Coarse Dry Basis - 79.6
Fine/Coarse Difference - 1.0
Moisture % - 3.8
Colour of wort Lovibond - 2.1
DP Lintner - 54
Total Protein - 3.56
Index of Modification % - 38.8
Friability % - 93.2
Whole Corns % - 0.4
Homogeneity % - 98.0

Thanks ahead...

Reading through Noonan's (New Lager Brewing, Gregory Noonan) description of the two, DBCG and DBFG, it looks like these are two numbers that are measured in the lab. I think they are two independent numbers in other words. The DBFG indicates the quality of the malt and the maximum potential yield of the malt, the DBCG is more an indication of the yield that the malt is capable of giving.

Paul B

how - or can I - calculate the figure for Dry Yield Fine Grain?

Fine grind has a higher yield than coarse, so the DBFG (dry basis fine grind) in this case would be 80.6 (DBCG of 79.6 + difference of 1.0).

I think they are two independent numbers in other words. The DBFG indicates the quality of the malt and the maximum potential yield of the malt, the DBCG is more an indication of the yield that the malt is capable of giving.

Paul B

They are both measurements of the maximum potential yield of the malt, but at two different levels of crush, coarse or fine.

Latest posts

Back