First All-grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo1977

Reaction score
My neighbor and I did our first all grain batch last night. We are both working on getting equipment assembled and built. So between the both of us we had what we needed to brew a batch. We started with his brew kettle on the stove. After adding the water and starting to bring the water to tempature we found a pin hole leak in the welds. So it was off to my house to get my keggel that was just finished and propane burner to save the brew night. After the quick work between the both of us and the help from his wife and hot mother-in-law we were making our first batch. After that it was a uneventful brew session with the drinking of homebrew and a eating a pinch of mash after sparging to commemorate our first All-grain, boiling adding hops and cooling the wort.
I went home to bed and my neighbor and his wife did a second run on the grain bed.

I gave a call this morning after I figured he was up and asked how the second run went. He said it went smoothly. I asked what the sg's were and the first one was 1.040 we missed our target by .010 which was not bad. We had forgotten to take a reading from the mash tun before we sparged off.
The second run on the bed gave a sg of 1.021.
Hope they turn out well.

any pics of the hot mother in law???

sorry thats pretty much all I read in your thread. I'll try again in a few minutes...

we did the first batch and then did a second batch with the same grain in the mash tun. used different hops and yeast than before. So we yielded 10 gallon total from the same grain bed, 5 gallon for him and 5 gallon for me.
here is a pic of his mother in law

Yeah I think this one will turn out all right. John didn't mention but this one was a wheat beer. I was warned that the krausen gets rediculouse but didn't know how bad it really was until about 24 hours later when i got home from the Home Depot with my blow off tube and found my airlock about to rocket a hole in my roof.

P.S. thats MY hot Mother-in-law

DSC02190.JPG

There is Mother-in-law and Wife

You know I hear that a lot and it always makes me happy!

Hears John's home made chiller in action.
DSC02173.JPG

Back