Stop after steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a Belgian right now. Half is for my neighbor who chipped in on the ingredients. He wanted to help brew it and is going to be late getting home from work. I already steeped the grains and am about to sparge into the boil kettle. Can I let that sit for a while (maybe an hour?) before bringing it to a boil and continuing on?

Are you doing a full boil (or close to it) on a kitchen stove? If so, your neighbor may be home before you get to a boil! :D

I say put a medium flame under it, and wait until he arrives.

You should be able to let your wort sit for quite a while before the boil. It's after the boil that timing gets a little more critical. I would just cover up the brew kettle with a plastic or tinfoil wrap and set it aside until you are ready to boil.

I steeped the grains on the stove and just finished sparging. Not a full boil. So, I used 1/2 gallon for steeping and another 1/2 gallon for the sparge. It's all in the kettle now. I'm using a turkey fryer outside for the boil. So... for the time being, I covered the kettle with it's lid and will let it sit like that until we are ready. Sound ok? And thanks for the quick responses!

Back