Cleaning burnt grain in converted SS keg MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkpdogg

Reaction score
So I made mistake after mistake during my first attempt at AG brewing last week. One of these mistakes was freaking out when I didn't him my target temp and turning on the the burner under the MLT during the mash. I turned it off after just a couple minutes as I thought about the grain burning, but it was too late and there's some crust now at the bottom of my MLT.

What's the best way to clean this stuff off without damaging the metals? My MLT is a converted SS keg with copper piping. Thanks in advance for your help!

Put several gallons of water in the kettle along with a cup or so of automatic dishwasher detergent. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for an hour or so. Scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon or something similar. When you think most of the stuff is softened, drain the kettle and dump what you can. Then, if anything remains, try some Bar Keepers Friend with a heavy duty scrubby. You really have to try in order to do much damage to the SS kettle bottom. Just try to avoid gouging or scratching it deeply with any sharp metal tools. Depending on the degree of scorching, you may have to repeat this process a few times. Usually some hot detergent and time will do the trick.

Now then, you have just finished all-grain 101. It's more difficult to heat the mash than you would think and direct firing it is tricky to master. You might try manually recirculating wort while you apply the heat. When doing a mash in, allow time for the temperature to stabilize in the mash before leaping to the conclusion that your strike temps are way off. It can take ten minutes or longer for everything to equalize. Making adjustments before the mash equalizes can lead you on a roller coaster ride chasing the temps all over the place. This can sometimes lead to severe hypertension, possible cardiac arrest and, in some cases, death.

Ive found boiling baking soda in water helps with burnt stuff too, but the detergent might be better. avoid scrubbing/scraping stainless with anything made of a dissimilar metal.

Back