High Gravity BIAB systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I figured since there is a Brew Boss thread there might as well be a High Gravity thread. Anyone that has been using the HG BIAB system care to chime in on their experiences, likes/dislikes, any modifications they've done to their HG system, etc. I'm deciding on either the HG BIAB system or the Brew Boss system this Friday.

I just bought a 120v system I'll pick up in a couple of weeks. Recommend you to check out various post on the system on here. If not good enough go to TheScewyBrewer.com and look at getting started to the right the ultimate BIAB brew day, nice write up.

One thing I need to know is how people are keeping trub and hop debris out of their chilling system with the HG system. Did you customize a whirlpool system, are you using some sort of filter gizmo on the pickup tube?

not a ton of trub or crap left over usually, everything starts and stays in a bag. Got my system w/ the boil coil, makes it easy to start stirring up a whirlpool and valve is good 1/2" off bottom.

I'll second Screwy's site, great info there!!!

Do you feel like there's a lot of wasted wort since the valve is so far from the bottoms of the kettle? Any added pickup tubes made by anyone to minimize dead space?

not a ton of trub or crap left over usually, everything starts and stays in a bag. Got my system w/ the boil coil, makes it easy to start stirring up a whirlpool and valve is good 1/2" off bottom.

I'll second Screwy's site, great info there!!!

Donal, do you have the 240V system? Do you feel like the boil coil is quick enough to heat? I noticed the boilcoil is 4500W vs. the previous 5500W element.

I been brewing with the 240v SV system and boil coil for about a year now. Usually get in 2 per month.
Added a trub screen and sight glass and that is all.
I have a mark where it maintains temp and a mark for mash out.
It maintains temp beautifully.
Although I have nothing to compare it too, I am very pleased with this thing.

Did both of you also look at the Brew Boss system when deciding on the HG system? That's where I'm at right now, just racking by brain back and forth trying to decide on which system to get before tomorrow because of the Black Friday deal! Any insight as to how you decided on the HG system over the BB system would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I have a 240v system, I haven't timed it but certainly feels faster than it took with propane burner. Sorry, no exp with BB system, but wouldn't trade my HG for ANYTHING! few things changed moving to electric, now indoors, using CFC instead of IC to chill. love , love , love it

and no, I don't see any issue with wasted wort, got the 62 qt kettle, 5.5G is easy, 10G doable--- its what ends up in the fermentor, not whats left in the kettle

I considered the brew boss. I don't think you can go wrong with either system. In the end, a simple control knob was all I felt I needed.

My understanding is to use a brewing software and figure in loss to kettle trub to get your fermenter size down, loss to kettle won't matter.

I ordered the 240v panel from HG last Friday and waiting on it to ship. As the previous poster mentioned, I was interested in the overall simplicity of it and was happy with the knob. I only bought the panel and will be hooking it up to my 20 gallon ss kettle. I picked up an element closeout kit from Still Dragon and I haven't decided on an element quit yet.

Got my 120v system from High Gravity Monday and did a quick set-up test after putting it together. Once I drained the water off as if I was transferring wort I did a measurement of kettle loss which came out to .6 gal. when I set up the software I'll include this number to it to insure I meet my strike water for mash and boil after mash, may need to adjust but haven't had to with other kettles yet mostly spot on.

Did my first brew today. I'm a very satisfied man with this new system. although it did take me longer to complete my brew, I must say that's all on me. Not a proper calculation of strike water made my boil time increase to get close to my OG. The EBC-SV controller held my strike temp. at + - 1 deg. without any adjustments. Boil was not what I'm use to (5gal. kettle on stove top) but it did the job. I've now have 2 LBK's in the fermentation chamber waiting on the yeast to start doing their thing. :ban:

I received mine in the mail yesterday. I probably won't be able to use it for at least another month. I still need a few bits and pieces.

Sillbeer just remember to get all volumes before you start your brewing (it helps to make sure they are correct to). Although I made mistakes I love this system, I think I got a new girlfriend (she makes me beer).:ban:

Thanks for the tips. I'll get my setup input into Beersmith and along with Bruin water and see what happens.

I should have the rest of my stuff delivered this Monday. Element, false bottom and some miscellaneous fittings. With any luck I'll be about 2 weeks out from my first BIAB batch.

I just ordered the BIAB Electric Brewing System 240V and the Therminator, plus ordered 2 Janet's Brown kits from More Beer. I can't wait for it all to arrive!

Latest posts

Back