Backpacking With Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katy

Reaction score
We want to bring home brew into the backcountry with us this summer. I'm looking for alternatives to glass for bottling. Something safe to bottle in and to bring with us. Any suggestions you may have please share! Thanks!!

Well, if you are kegging... this is what I use http://www.hydroflask.com/products/64-oz-wide-mouth-vacuum-insulated-stainless-steel-growler.html I thought it was really heavy the first time I filled it (it is) but then I thought about all the boxes of wine I have backpacked in over the years. This really does keep cold things cold. I left it in the car in the direct sun (mine is black) and it was still ice cold 8hrs later. I usually keep it protected so it keeps temp for a couple days.

Oh yeah, lifetime warranty... and I use it just like a growler and get it filled here and there. Dropped it a couple times full and nothing more than a little dent/scratch. Seriously these things rock.

For some portable bottling I use a schrader valve mounted in a PET bottle top. It's cheap, nearly unbreakable, and simple to use. Fill with beer (use the no beer gun method as described on this forum), squeeze out the air, cap with the beer at the top of the mouth, then top off with an air chuck mounted to your CO2.

carbcap.jpg

+1 to 2L PET bottles. If you have a kegging system you can use the homemade valves above (or buy carbonator caps). That way you can fill the bottles that are clear of yeast.

You could naturally prime a 2L bottle alternatively, but that yeast would get all mixed up when backpacking. Maybe a hefeweizen would work very well here!

step said:
Well, if you are kegging... this is what I use http://www.hydroflask.com/products/64-oz-wide-mouth-vacuum-insulated-stainless-steel-growler.html I thought it was really heavy the first time I filled it (it is) but then I thought about all the boxes of wine I have backpacked in over the years. This really does keep cold things cold. I left it in the car in the direct sun (mine is black) and it was still ice cold 8hrs later. I usually keep it protected so it keeps temp for a couple days.

Oh yeah, lifetime warranty... and I use it just like a growler and get it filled here and there. Dropped it a couple times full and nothing more than a little dent/scratch. Seriously these things rock.

Thanks for that. I'm definitely picking one of those up for summer!

solbes said:
+1 to 2L PET bottles. If you have a kegging system you can use the homemade valves above (or buy carbonator caps). That way you can fill the bottles that are clear of yeast.

You could naturally prime a 2L bottle alternatively, but that yeast would get all mixed up when backpacking. Maybe a hefeweizen would work very well here!

Can you not just fill and screw the cap on if filling from a carbonated keg?

Those things are awesome! I Wish you could fill any container in california :/

Can you not just fill and screw the cap on if filling from a carbonated keg?

I suppose you could, yeah. Might lose a little carbonation but not much. I guess I've done that with growlers before, but I usally drink them in the next 2-3 hours.

You can prime in plastic soda bottles and you can certainly fill hose same bottles from a keg if that's how you roll.

I can't think of anything that's lighter and safer than plastic soda bottles. Except maybe plastic beer bottles...

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/134

These work great for wine...strap to the outside of your pack while hiking. Once you make camp, hang it from a tree. I assume they'd work for beer, too, though you definitely want to mark which is wine, beer, or water for future reference. Kyle

Seems like you might have some issues with carbonation in these packs....

We are going to try bottling our next batch in plastic bottles. We've never used plastic bottles before so it'll be an experiment. We don't have access to CO2 so we'll use priming sugar. Thanks everyone!

Back