AG aging vs. Extract Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droyd2583

Reaction score
Was a little curious about this in retrospect of trying my first AG beer I brewed about 6 weeks ago. Although it was good for only being in the bottle for 3 weeks I was a little disappointed in the taste a little. I'm assuming the taste is from being green and only really conditioning a week but I don't remember my Extract version tasting like that when I tasted it at about 3 weeks in the bottle as well.

Has anyone noticed a difference in aging between the two styles? Does AG brews tend to take a little longer to fully devolope than extract or PM brews?

My recipe is a robust porter and due attenuation much higher than my extract version my FG was about .009 lower with the AG version. Increasing the ABV from 5.1% to 6.25%. I'm assuming that has a little to do with the taste difference between the two versions.

no...beer is beer regardless of how it arrives. Brewing with extract only means that rather than WE doing the mashing to convert the grain, someone else does it for us. Extract is the same whether WE make it or they make it...it still is the same, as is the beer made that way.

Gravity is the only thing really that has a bearing on aging...A high grav extract and a high grav Ag are going to need pretty much the same time....

Fermentation will have a much bigger effect on the need for aging / conditioning then how the wort was made. Aging / conditioning is a process designed to "clean up" un-desirable fermentation characteristics.

But your AG beer may taste worse not because it needs more time but because it's over attenuated in comparison to the extract version that you enjoyed. AG gives you more power to control attenuation. "With great power comes great responsibility" (Spiderman) If you mash too low and your destroy all the dextrins in the beer, you will end up with a thin, dry beer with much less mouth feel. Sometimes dry is good and other times a higher FG is really much better.

Thanks Maida, going over my notes and reading a little deeper into my books i realized that I definately mashed at too low of a temperature, 154 degrees, for the style and mouthfeel I was going for. For some reason I was thinking lower temps created more mouthfeel but I realize I had that reversed. Oh well, live and learn and don't make the same mistake twice. I made the correction for my next batch of this brew and am hoping it will turn out a little different. Definately not an undrinkable beer but it seems to have more of a brown ale mouthfeel than a porter. Thanks for the input both of you.

Latest posts

Back