Glassware with micro-etching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty2324

Reaction score
My last trip to Europe, I noticed that most Pub glassware over there has micro etching that releases carbonation. I'd like to get some glassware that has this, but I don't want branded. (therefore no New Belgium or Sam Adams glasses as they are the only I've found that have this in the US)

Does anyone know where to get this type of glassware in the US?

Think that's probably the closest your gonna find without a special order. Do you have a local shop that does laser etching on trophies

It is amazing that something that is so popular over there is basically non-existant over here.

There has to be an importer somewhere online where you can buy them. I mean some one found a place that was selling imported Kolsch glassware so you should be able to find other glassware.

The sam adams ones dont have much print on them you might be able to scrap it off. I have a couple of them where the logo is already coming off in some spots.

Buy a Duvel pack, it has a 500ml tulip, and 2 beers. If you don't want the Duvel logo, just wash it in your dishwasher.

Think that's probably the closest your gonna find without a special order. Do you have a local shop that does laser etching on trophies

Laser etching, or if you are skilled, you could chemical etch the bottom.

It's a very specific laser type though so don't just send you glass off with someone that has an etching alser where they work. My compnay makes such lasers and I presented our process lab guys with this very idea. We have Yag, diode pumped, and Co2 lasers. They would not etch the inside of the glass with any of those because I would be drinking microscopid shards of the glass for the remainder of the life of the glass.

Just a heads up. Make sure if you pursue this option, it's someone with a specific knowledge base of laser processes and applications.

I just spent 10 minutes searching around and found nothing, but Sam Adam's glasses from the US, and a bunch of sites in the UK and Australia.

Its probably much less common here since our beers are usually highly carbonated to begin with, or because common pub beer here is fizzy yellow stuff that you don't want more aroma of?

You might be able to order from some of the UK sites.

My folks own a screen-print and embroidery shop and do a lot of outsourcing of promotional products I looked through their supplier database and found two companies that can do this but I gotta order 144pcs if there is enough people interested in this I would order and sell them for cost plus shipping and $1 for my time
Cost is $5.15 and shipping would be calculated I live in Kearney Nebraska

My folks own a screen-print and embroidery shop and do a lot of outsourcing of promotional products I looked through their supplier database and found two companies that can do this but I gotta order 144pcs if there is enough people interested in this I would order and sell them for cost plus shipping and $1 for my time
Cost is $5.15 and shipping would be calculated I live in Kearney Nebraska

What styles would they be? I'm sure I would be in for this if there were people to go along.

i acid etched mine with the stuff from the craft store - hydrofluoric acid maybe? Just a circle in the center - sets up a nice stream of bubbles.

It's a very specific laser type though so don't just send you glass off with someone that has an etching alser where they work. My compnay makes such lasers and I presented our process lab guys with this very idea. We have Yag, diode pumped, and Co2 lasers. They would not etch the inside of the glass with any of those because I would be drinking microscopid shards of the glass for the remainder of the life of the glass.

Just a heads up. Make sure if you pursue this option, it's someone with a specific knowledge base of laser processes and applications.

mmmm...microscopic shards of glass...

i acid etched mine with the stuff from the craft store - hydrofluoric acid maybe? Just a circle in the center - sets up a nice stream of bubbles.

Thats what I was thinking when I saw this thread. If you want to get real fancy, they sell sand blasting stuff and you could just mask off an area.

My beers release their carbonation without microetching.

so your beer has enough junk floating around in it to act as nucleation sites? or areyour glasses just dirty? ;)etched glasses just present a more steady stream of bubbles that's interesting to look at. really does nothing for the beer.

If this helps I bought a few small taster glass from the dollar store. I wanted to do an experiment so I got a metal scribe and scratch the bottom and it work great. Make sure you rinse it out of course and enjoy.

I am going to try etching cream next.

Back