What is the Lager taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I guess this is usually better answered by a taste test so any recomendations for how to pick out the characteristics are welcome. BUT, I have made mostly lagers so far. I have no idea what that "lager yeast" flavor is or if im succeeding at producing it.

What am i going for here that seperates ales from lagers flavor wise?

For what its worth, the lager taste is not so much a taste as it is the abscence of the ale taste. You know how ales will have some sort of yeasty or estery or fruity character ? Well a lager shouldn't have that.

I'm sure someone can explain it better than me.

they tend to be much smoother going down. If your not resting properly you will have a buttery flavor or slickness on your tongue from diacetyl which is not preferred. Ale yeasts tend to be "thicker" with more texture and more esters and phenols due to the warmer temperatures. Also unless im mistaken, the hops are usually more restrained on lagers....ive never heard of a lager IPA for instance.

In the most general terms, lager yeast strains are very clean and neutral and don't express much if any character.

What sort of lagers have you been trying to make to date?

I did an Oktoberfest that just came out of the clearing tank. and ive done two runs of this genaric dark lager with saflager s-23.

So far everything has come out well recieved. Just trying to expand my knowledge a bit.

Sulfur is a flavor you will pick up in many lager beers. It is not nearly as common in ales.

and lagers seem to have a certain 'crispness' to them...not necessarily 'dry' (unless the style dictates it).

i agree with the sulfur, and i think that's part of the 'crisp' flavor...you really have no esters or phenols in the beer to add 'complexity' (for lack of a better term).

Back